Newbie iTunes Question

Questions about Wine on Linux
animaguy

Newbie iTunes Question

Post by animaguy »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know what is the lastest version of iTunes that is working with what distro of Linux and what version of WineHQ.

Right now the only reason for me to have a Windows installation on one of my computers is to subscribe to iTunes.

So I am very much interested in what works and what doesn't regarding iTunes and Linux.

Thank you.
dimesio

Re: Newbie iTunes Question

Post by dimesio »

animaguy wrote: I just wanted to know what is the lastest version of iTunes that is working with what distro of Linux and what version of WineHQ.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=1347
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Some Alternatives?

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Mmm. Looks like the iTunes-WINE situation is pretty bleak. Let me throw in a few things that might help.

First, I need to know what your needs with iTunes are. Are you using it purely for an imobile device, such an iPhone, iPod, etc? Or are you using it purely for purchasing music from the iTunes Store? Or both? Just the actual listening to music part has obvious replacements in Linux, and I don't think that's what's holding you up.

Banshee, a Linux-native music-player similar to iTunes, often has a built-in feature allowing you to buy music from the Ubuntu One store, if you'd like to ditch iTunes altogether. See here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/itunes

PyMusique was written to allow Linux users to buy songs off the iTunes Store from Linux. It has a Linux-native iTunes Store client. I don't know if it actually plays the songs, but that can be done with Banshee, Rhythm Box, VLC, or any number of Linux-native music players. Of those 3, I would recommend Banshee as an iTunes replacement.

PyMusique (obviously written in Python, hence the "Py"), was latter written in C sharp and named SharpMusique. It too has a Linux version.

Most download links to PyMusique and SharpMusique have been taken down, but I hear that Muisk is supposed to step in and replace them, and be able to buy songs from both the iTunes Store and the Napster store.

From what I hear, there will be a Linux version of Musik.

As far as imobile device maintenance/usage in Linux, there is libimobiledevice. libimobiledevice is really a suite of multiple programs.

One key aspect of libimobiledevice is that it allows you to mount your imobile device. That allows you to browse it like an external USB hard drive, and even copy stuff off, as well as put stuff on. At least with a non-jailbroken imobile device, you won't be able to browse _everything_ on the iPhone, but at least you can get to your music, and the pictures and videos you take on the device. I suspect you can get to videos put on by iTunes as well.

Since the music has been made accessible via libimobiledevice, that allows you to use your imobile device with Banshee. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure at that point you can put on and take off music (and videos, etc) with Banshee, much like how you can manage the songs, videos, etc. on the imobile device from iTunes.

Another part of libimobiledevice is a program called idevicerestore. When you update your imobiledevice with iTunes, it downloads an ispw file and then blows that image over the imobiledevice, and I'm pretty sure it then deletes it. At least that's the usual. If you hold down a button, you can choose to "download only", which will download and not delete the ispw. Then you can go see the file for yourself. You can even tell iTunes to blow a specified ispw over your imobiledevice (have to hold a button down to get the option).

Given an ispw file, idevicerestore can blow that ispw over your imobiledevice, but all your stuff that was on the imobile device will be gone. I don't know how to copy the stuff off then put it back on yet, other than the music and videos and pictures. So just e-mail all your notes to yourself, save the music and videos with banshee, then blow the ispw over, put your music and videos back on with Banshee, redownload your apps locally with the iPhone, then copy your notes back in from your e-mail. I haven't tried it myself, so I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I think that's about how it would go down.

Oh, and since you don't have iTunes to download the ispw with, just download them from this site: http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/25/download ... ware-ipsw/

Once you get your imobiledevice updated to a certain point, you can update it and do stuff all through WiFi, so you shouldn't really need idevicerestore, but it's nice if you don't have WiFi setup, or if your Internet is slow and you already downloaded the ispw file once. Also, jailbreaking is done by blowing over a modified ISPW, so you could use idevicerestore to jailbreak.

Cheers,
Jake
StutzJr

Post by StutzJr »

Well so far today I've tried regular installing XP twice to a bluescreen and confirmed the broken iTunes 10.6.1.7 interface in Wine 1.2.3-0ubuntu1 on Mint 12. Going to try a different install cd + driver set and virtualbox tomorrow. As per my other post I'd really like to know the prospects / roadmap for full Wine support, including store and sync.

I also tried the libimobiledevice option mentioned here but all I was able to do was get ideviceinfo, I wasn't able to mount the device and it didn't show up in either banshee or rhythmbox.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

You may need to update your libimobiledevice. And I'm not just saying that. The older versions of libimobiledevice can't mount iPhones past a certain iOS version. Updating libimobiledevice fixes that. This is a known thing.

I saw a howto for updating libimobiledevice somewhere. If I find it again, I'll pm it to you.

Sent from my iPhone, lol
Jake
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

StutzJr wrote:As per my other post I'd really like to know the prospects / roadmap for full Wine support, including store and sync.
Wine is a volunteer project; developers work on what interests them. My impression is there doesn't seem to be much interest in iTunes. There's no way to predict whether that will change.
jjmckenzie

Newbie iTunes Question

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM, dimesio <[email protected]> wrote:
StutzJr wrote:
As per my other post I'd really like to know the prospects / roadmap for full Wine support, including store and sync.
Wine is a volunteer project; developers work on what interests them. My impression is there doesn't seem to be much
interest in iTunes. There's no way to predict whether that will change.
Several of the developers have been here and even questioned why
people want to run a propriatary program such as iTunes when there are
open source/native programs that do essentially the same thing. My
guess there is ZERO interest in getting iTunes to work with Wine at
this time. If a compelling reason is given, then work may move
forward for this program.

James
StutzJr

Post by StutzJr »

Well I'm still waiting for a PM from Jake as I'm not convinced that libimobiledevice is able to substitute any of the store and / or sync functionality and certainly appears to lack any consolidating interface. I'll need some advice as to the correct version upgrade procedure for Mint v12/13. Couldn' find the musik/ musique site(s).
As much as I despise the apple business model I had to think long and hard before investing in this device and the main clincher for me is that "it just works". I'm happy to tinker with my desktop console at home but I rely more and more on my ipad as my main device for everyday use. I'm certainly not threatening to pull the pin but full sync functionality is simply a make or break for me to decide whether to stick with linux or run a dual boot with windows.
I'd seriously consider falling back to the iBook G4 for sync but again I invested in a more expensive tablet for a reason, and for better or worse now that's what I'm stuck with. Is the story any different for samsung/Nokia/windows phone users anyway?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

StutzJr wrote:Is the story any different for samsung/Nokia/windows phone users anyway?
If you mean using Wine, the answer is no. The reason is Wine's lack of support for USB devices, which many people want, but which is difficult to implement. There are native tools to sync phones; how well they work probably depends on the make/model of phone. One of the realities of using Linux is that you need to check hardware compatibility carefully before buying anything, and that's not likely to change.

As an alternative to dual booting you could try running Windows in a VM.