Portal 2 disappears on initial loading screen

Questions about Wine on Linux
Schmiddehy

Post by Schmiddehy »

Hi,

I've got a problem playing portal 2 on steam through wine. It starts to load, I get the valve and source logos that come up after opening the game but as soon as it goes to the loading page (before the main menu) it just vanishes, without any error. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? The AppDB says the game works fine in general. I've also managed to play other games on my pc through steam, like portal 1 and team fortress 2, though they initially loaded into a resolution that was 'out of range' for my monitor, but this was easy to fix. I've tried running portal 2 in safe mode and also forcing it to use a specific resolution but it still just disappears. Anyone know what to do?
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Schmiddehy <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,

I've got a problem playing portal 2 on steam through wine. It starts to load, I get the valve and source logos that come up after opening the game but as soon as it goes to the loading page (before the main menu) it just vanishes, without any error. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? The AppDB says the game works fine in general. I've also managed to play other games on my pc through steam, like portal 1 and team fortress 2, though they initially loaded into a resolution that was 'out of range' for my monitor, but this was easy to fix. I've tried running portal 2 in safe mode and also forcing it to use a specific resolution but it still just disappears. Anyone know what to do?
1. Run it from the terminal so you can get useful information.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log

2. Post the log on pastebin.com and link here.

John
Schmiddehy

Post by Schmiddehy »

Thanks for the reply.

I've run it in the terminal and pasted the log.txt contents where you said. Here's the link:

http://pastebin.com/CCYY9ABU
nepenthes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nepenthes »

Schmiddehy

Post by Schmiddehy »

hmm, ok. Does that mean I just need to wait for the problem to get fixed then? I tried putting 'echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope' in a terminal before running portal (somebody suggested it in that thread for a different game) and it got it past the loading stage....but as soon as the menu came up there was a horrific high-pitched buzzing noise, so it's still unplayable. It did manage to load the game which is promising I suppose. Thanks for your help.