Wine not showing up on program list

Questions about Wine on Linux
Guan
Level 2
Level 2

Wine not showing up on program list

Post by Guan »

I'm trying to run a .exe file and it keeps opening the file in archive manager. If I right click and try to select which program to use to open the .exe file, I can't find Wine Windows Program Loader in the list. I've tried removing and then re-installing wine, but to no effect. I haven't the faintest what triggered this as it was working fine as of a few days ago. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wine Version: 1.5.4
Linux Mint 12 64 bit
Cinnamon Desktop
cyberjacob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyberjacob »

try running it from the terminal
Guan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Guan »

I can, of course use terminal and run programs that way, which I have done in some cases. However, I'm trying to set up a language lab at the school that I work at. Most of my students that would be using the Rosetta Stone software are ages 3-7, so running things from terminal is a bit beyond them. In a side note, this issue doesn't seem to be occuring when I use the latest version of the MATE desktop. I need to double confirm that the other Cinnamon desktop I use at work is or is not having this issue. I am wondering if today's update to wine 1.5.5 fix this issue.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Guan wrote:IIn a side note, this issue doesn't seem to be occuring when I use the latest version of the MATE desktop. I need to double confirm that the other Cinnamon desktop I use at work is or is not having this issue. I am wondering if today's update to wine 1.5.5 fix this issue.
It's a bug in Mint's menu, not Wine. https://bugs.launchpad.net/mintmenu/+bug/714848
Guan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Guan »

I took a look at the bug report that you referenced, and I do have that issue, but it's not the one I opened this thread about. In my case, I can doubleclick on an .exe file, and instead of trying to open with wine, it will try to use a different program to open the .exe (like archive manager). For example I can doubleclick on RosettaStoneVersion3.exe, and then archive manager opens up. This behavior didn't start until recently. Yesterday I found it would use wine commands from other wine bottles to open whatever .exe file that I wanted to open, which is kind of odd. Just trying to sort all of this out.