Steam: Fatal Error: VGUI_Setup failed

Questions about Wine on Linux
Schmiddehy

Steam: Fatal Error: VGUI_Setup failed

Post by Schmiddehy »

Hi,

I recently installed steam in wine and everything was working fine. I managed to install a bunch of games and even played and completed portal. However, steam has stopped working now and is giving me the error 'Fatal Error: VGUI_Setup failed'. I had to update my graphics driver due to the one in the ubuntu additional drivers menu not working properly (so I updated it manually) and since then I get this message in steam. Does anyone know how I can fix it? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both steam and wine and I've also tried wine 1.4 and 1.5 but keep getting the same error.

If it helps, this is the info about my computer:

Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2 processor
4GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card (this had a recent problem with a driver update in April, and I assume that this is the driver that is still offered on the additional drivers application in ubuntu since it gave the same problem after working for a day, the driver I am now using is 295.53 which is the newest on the NVIDIA site.

This all happened in the course of a day -
1) I installed steam and it worked but games wouldn't start
2) I installed graphics driver in 'additional drivers' app and games started working, though start-up of computer had slowed slightly
3) turn on computer this morning and start up was incredibly slow in Unity 3D, freezing and basically unusable. (this is the problem with driver 295.40 on 8 series cards apparently)
4) manually update driver - desktop working fine, steam no longer starts.

any help would be much appreciated, I got very excited at the prospect of finally being able to play my steam games in ubuntu yesterday.
winterhawk787

Post by winterhawk787 »

I think these later nVidia drivers are problematic. I'm not sure of a valid fix for this, but I know that I have Optimus on my laptop, so I wound up having to use Bumblebee and use

Code: Select all

optirun wine Steam.exe
after moving into the proper directory containing Steam.exe in the .wine folder and it solved the problem.

Have you tried third-party drivers? There's also some other fixes out there - some people have had luck deleting steam/ClientRegistry.blob and steam/bin/vgui2_s.dll, but I'm not sure how well this will suit.

I'm sorry you're having issues with this. I really hope this helps! (I'm also relatively new to the message boards, but I felt the need to talk about this since I was seeking out help on the same issue and found a solution that worked for me.)[/code]