misexec and mspatcha.dll failed to patch files

Questions about Wine on Linux
akI*
Level 3
Level 3

misexec and mspatcha.dll failed to patch files

Post by akI* »

Good evening,

today i tried to install a program for music production. Usual i go with the normal setup.exe on the DVD. The installer is programed to got you forwarded to the windows cmdline and then step by step install the needed programs and patches.

This failed for me several times without any consoleoutput

Then i decided to install the needed packages and patches step by step by hand and not with the setup.exe installer.

The base program is a .msi file which i installed with

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-TESTDRIVE/ wine msiexec /i /path/to/program/program.msi
without any problems.

The next step is to patch the base program with a .msp file. I tried to patch it with

env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-TESTDRIVE/ wine msiexec /p /path/to/program/patch.msp

but that failed with an error message tell me

err:msi:patchfiles_cb Failed patch L"C:\\Program Files\\myProgram\\MusicProduction\\Fonts\\Classic.ttf": 120.
err:msi:ACTION_PatchFiles Failed to apply patch to file: L"font4"
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"PatchFiles" returned 1603
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603
I was wondering and start reading a bit on the net.

I tried to use a native mspatcha.dll from the notebook of a friend of mine. But thats occours in another error tell me

err:msi:load_mspatcha Failed to load mspatcha.dll: 193
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"PatchFiles" returned 1627
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1627
So i tried other programs to be sure the patchfiles are not corrupt, but i get the same error on every patch file (.msp) i try to install.

Is there any information i has not seen yet? Any hints for me to get the patch passed through? Maybe i not use the mspatcha correctly, im not sure.

wine: 1.5.3 ( i know we already got 1.5.4 but i dont think it will be solved with 1.5.4)
akI*
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akI* »

*UPDATE*

To be sure the files are correct i installed the program (on the same way i described before) on a windowsmachine from a friend of mine. Works without a problem.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

this may be a bug in wine. You probably should file a bug in Bugzilla. Something like a free trial version might be helpful, so please provide a link if possible.
akI*
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akI* »

I dont think that theres a free trial of this older app.

Im talking about Cubase Nuendo v4 but i can upload the standard msi installer and the patch for you if you want to recheck that on your system.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

please don't upload anything, if it isn't freeware or similar. Since winehq and most of the developers are US-based, unlicensed uploads will not be tolerated in this forum. You can still file a bug, if a developer picks it up, he might tell you to run your app on wine with some debug channels enabled.
akI*
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akI* »

Oh yes sry :oops:

I dont guess about the licence aggreement at this moment.

Just for information: the msi installer only with the patch file is useless standalone. You´ll be not able to run the program.
And since you dont own the original dongle its anyway not possible to launch the program.

I´ll file a bug.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

there seems to be some demo version of Nuendo 5, see
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nu ... rsion.html
but the whole procedure with that USB-eLicenser seems quite complicated.
Regarding the patch, there seem a be a few for Nuendo 5, see http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nu ... oads2.html

Would it be possible to reproduce the issue with Nuendo 5 + patch (without ordering this USB-eLicenser) ?
akI*
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akI* »

Its solved

I filed a bug and got the reply that the errorcode 193 is a bad exe error. So something goes wrong when i copied the original mspatcha.dll from the notebook from my friend.

I copied it again (WinXP now and NOT the Win7 one before) and everything went well :-) :idea:

Thanks for your help.

Nuendo 4.3 is running awesome, i´ll add an AppDB entry later with some screenshots.