New User.. Just general advice

Questions about Wine on Linux
libspero

Post by libspero »

I know it can be quite irritating when new posters start a thread begging for help.. so I'll try not to be like that.

My first experience of WINE is that the interface is great for new users.. on Ubuntu the package installer and "right click on .exe" function is very intuitive and easy to use. The installer/uninstaller again very intuitive for anyone recently migrating from other OSs.

I have tried to install two games since installing wine, (Wolfenstein and an older game). Wolfenstein crashed during installation with not much info given. The older game (RTCW) which comes on two disks started installing ok but then crashed when I inserted the second disk.

So, I'm kinda giving up a bit. Is it worth me pushing on, or as a newbie to this am I going to get bogged down requiring complex tweeks and mods..?

I appreciate that by trying to install games I'm probably throwing WINE in at the deep end.. I don't doubt that it works brilliantly with simple apps and programs etc.

I'd be interested what other users experiences have been..
dimesio

Re: New User.. Just general advice

Post by dimesio »

libspero wrote: I have tried to install two games since installing wine, (Wolfenstein and an older game). Wolfenstein crashed during installation with not much info given. The older game (RTCW) which comes on two disks started installing ok but then crashed when I inserted the second disk.

So, I'm kinda giving up a bit. Is it worth me pushing on, or as a newbie to this am I going to get bogged down requiring complex tweeks and mods..?
You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you're using, but if it's 64 bit 12.04, that version is severely broken for Wine, and the problems are not things that can be worked around with an easy tweak.

Regarding Wolfenstein, the AppDB has many test reports rating it platinum, which means it should work out of the box. However, I did see at least one test report mentioning that a no-cd crack is needed, which may or may not be legal where you live, but in any case isn't supported here, and if true, the game never should have been rated platinum. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=10125

If by "RTCW" you mean Return to Castle Wolfenstein (please use full names when posting), a user posted detailed instructions for installing from two cds on Ubuntu. The instructions are pretty old, but may be worth a try.
ergo-proxy

Post by ergo-proxy »

dimesio wrote: You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you're using, but if it's 64 bit 12.04, that version is severely broken for Wine, and the problems are not things that can be worked around with an easy tweak.
dimesio, can you please say what exactly is broken in Ubuntu 12.04x64? Are you referring to issues with compiling 32bit wine or ptrace stuff?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

ergo-proxy wrote: Are you referring to issues with compiling 32bit wine or ptrace stuff?
Both. There was also an issue with mouse control in the xserver shipped with 12.04; that has been reported fixed upstream, but I don't know whether the fix has been backported.
libspero

Post by libspero »

dimesio wrote: You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you're using, but if it's 64 bit 12.04, that version is severely broken for Wine, and the problems are not things that can be worked around with an easy tweak.

-SNIP-

If by "RTCW" you mean Return to Castle Wolfenstein (please use full names when posting), a user posted detailed instructions for installing from two cds on Ubuntu. The instructions are pretty old, but may be worth a try.
It's like you looked inside my computer! Spooky.. but spot on :)

Correct in every element, so yes I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.. I'm guessing this must be the main issue then.

Correct also on the second game (return to castle wolfenstein), I will try to hunt down the older thread.. presumably I'm going to run into a similar problem again though.

Not great news for me I guess, but at least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong. I'll keep an eye on future WINE updates until the compatibility issues are resolved.

Again, many thanks for your response and helpful information.

Libs
Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Usurp »

dimesio wrote:
libspero wrote: I have tried to install two games since installing wine, (Wolfenstein and an older game). Wolfenstein crashed during installation with not much info given. The older game (RTCW) which comes on two disks started installing ok but then crashed when I inserted the second disk.

You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you're using, but if it's 64 bit 12.04, that version is severely broken for Wine, and the problems are not things that can be worked around with an easy tweak.

Regarding Wolfenstein, the AppDB has many test reports rating it platinum, which means it should work out of the box. However, I did see at least one test report mentioning that a no-cd crack is needed, which may or may not be legal where you live, but in any case isn't supported here, and if true, the game never should have been rated platinum. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=10125

Given the ratings description,
that game shouldn't be rated platinum if a third party No-CD is required.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Usurp <[email protected]> wrote:
Given the ratings description,
that game shouldn't be rated platinum if a third party No-CD is required.
We need to find out what these checks are doing and get appropriate
code incorporated into Wine.

You are correct about the 'crack' and they may not be legal in some
areas/jurisdictions as well.

James