Program loses focus

Questions about Wine on Linux
LeeU

Program loses focus

Post by LeeU »

I am using Ubuntu 10.04, currently with Wine v.1.2.2. I have installed a program called NoteTab Pro, which is listed in the Wine database as running just fine for the most part. And it has ran fine for years under Wine 1.0 (which I was running until recently doing a new install of Ubuntu 10.04, which uses 1.2.2). There was a minor glitch or two but I got used to them. However, now, running under the upgraded version, when I am using the program, for no reason at all (it seems to be random) I can't find it on the panel or when i try to use ALT+TAB. However, when I check the System Monitor it is still running. Someone mentioned using the following command to gain access to it:

Code: Select all

wmctrl -R NoteTab
This did get me back to the program but the program was still not listed on the panel with the other programs nor could I switch back to it from another program using ALT+TAB. (Strangely, this software does seem to run just fine for some other people under the new Wine version but not for me.)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Wine but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to "fix" this problem? OR, does anyone know how I can download a copy of Wine 1.0 (seeing as it seemed to work just fine before)?
dimesio

Re: Program loses focus

Post by dimesio »

LeeU wrote:I am using Ubuntu 10.04, currently with Wine v.1.2.2.
Versions older than 1.4 are no longer supported here. Upgrade.
does anyone know how I can download a copy of Wine 1.0 (seeing as it seemed to work just fine before)?
Wine 1.0 was obsolete by the time Ubuntu 10.04 came out; I don't think any 1.0 packages were ever built for it.
LeeU

Post by LeeU »

Yeah, I did upgrade to 1.4 and the system was much worse than it is now. It was v-e-r-y slow and had other problems.
LeeU

Post by LeeU »

BTW, v.1.2.2 is what is available through Ubuntu.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

LeeU wrote:Yeah, I did upgrade to 1.4 and the system was much worse than it is now. It was v-e-r-y slow and had other problems.
When you upgraded Wine, did you do a clean install of NoteTab? You should.

Assuming http://www.notetab.com/downloads.php?product=notetab is the app you're talking about, the trial version seems to work just fine in 1.5.3 in a clean wineprefix.
LeeU

Post by LeeU »

I didn't upgrade to Wine, I did a new install. Then I did a clean install of NoteTab but then copied over existing clips, etc. like I have done before. The program you downloaded is different than the NoteTab Pro version. We have found several differences over time in the basic program and the Pro version.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

LeeU wrote:I didn't upgrade to Wine, I did a new install. Then I did a clean install of NoteTab but then copied over existing clips, etc. like I have done before. The program you downloaded is different than the NoteTab Pro version. We have found several differences over time in the basic program and the Pro version.
I downloaded the Pro trial. The download page says it has all the features of the retail version, but is limited to 30 days. There still could be underlying differences, of course.

As I said, 1.2.2 is no longer supported, so if you refuse to upgrade, you're on your own. If you upgrade to the current development release, you can post terminal output, and I'll take a look at it.