Questions about Wine on Linux
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

On Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits : stack overflow

Post by mohican »

Hi,
I have little experience with Wine.
I use it to run two old applications I made on Windows98.

With WINE 1.4 installed on Ubuntu 11.10 32 bits, they both run fine.
On my new install of Ubuntu 12.10 64 bits, with the same settings, one of them won't run.

First I installed WINE 1.5.3 from the Wine ppa. Then I uninstalled it and installed WINE 1.4 from the Ubuntu repositories.

In both cases, I have the following error message (when lauching from a terminal) :
"err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 996 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bc3e41f esp 00230f4c stack 0x230000-0x231000-0x330000"
(numbers may vary).

Do you have any idea about this kind of error ?

Could it be related to running Wine on a 64 bits OS ?

Thank you.
jjmckenzie

On Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits : stack overflow

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM, mohican <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,
I have little experience with Wine.
I use it to run two old applications I made on Windows98.

With WINE 1.4 installed on Ubuntu 11.10 32 bits, they both run fine.
On my new install of Ubuntu 12.10 64 bits, with the same settings, one of them won't run.

First I installed WINE 1.5.3 from the Wine ppa. Then I uninstalled it and installed WINE 1.4 from the Ubuntu repositories.

In both cases, I have the following error message (when lauching from a terminal) :
"err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 996 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bc3e41f esp 00230f4c stack 0x230000-0x231000-0x330000"
(numbers may vary).
Use a 32 bit Wine prefix for Windows98 programs. By default, 64 bit
Wine will create a 64 bit Wine prefix.

James
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

Thanks for replying.

In the config of Wine I included my .exe and set them to run on Windows98.
I did this on all versions I tested.

Is there anything else to do on the 64 bits version ?

After having made this config, I go directly to the directory where the exe is (following the path from .wine/dosdevices/).
There in a terminal I just type "wine myexe.exe". This works well on my previous version (Ubuntu 11.10 32 bits).

Is there anything I should type in the 64 bits version to make it work ?
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

On the FAQ I read this : (may be it's not up to date ?)
2.4. Does Wine run on 64-bit?

Yes. Normally, installation should be the same as with 32-bit: simply install the Wine package for your distribution. Check the Downloads page. If you need to build Wine from source, see WineOn64bit.

Note that Wine for 64-bit actually runs in 32-bit mode. This is necessary, as virtually all Windows applications are 32-bit. Support for 64-bit Windows applications is currently experimental (see Wine64).

Wine is currently offered in 32-bit. 16-bit and 32-bit Windows applications work with it. It runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux/Unix installations.
Wine is also experimentally offered in 64-bit. 32-bit and 64-bit Windows applications (should) work with it. It runs only on 64-bit Linux installations
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

mohican wrote: Is there anything I should type in the 64 bits version to make it work ?
Did you create a 32 bit wineprefix as jjmckenzie told you? You do that with WINEARCH=win32. Note it has to be done at time the wineprefix is created; you cannot change the architecture of a wineprefix afterwards.
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

Hi,

I don't know how to do this (create prefix specifying an architecture).

This is what I did :

On Ubuntu 11.10 32 bits :
1. install wine from ppa or from ubuntu software center.
2. Launch wine configurator : it creates automatically the ~/.wine directory (not asking me anything special).
3. install Windows applications, or configure shortcuts to exe files that do not need to be installed (this is the case for my personal applis).
4. Configure wine : paths and introduce my exe to specify that I want it to run on Windows 98 mode.

On Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits :
Steps 1 and 2
Then copy .wine (and menu shortcuts) from my previous install to the new install.

That's all !
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

This what is inside the shortcut (.desktop) to my personel app :

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/user1/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/user1/.wine/dosdevices/w:/exe/myapp.exe

(w: having been defined into the Wine config).

But anyway, as I already stated, I can launch the exe directly from its directory in a terminal (this is best because there I can read the error message).
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

I tried this :
- Rename ~/.wine

- Launch this command from a terminal :

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
this recreates ~/.wine

- Then launch my exe : result is exactly the same as before. :cry:
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

mohican wrote:I tried this :
- Rename ~/.wine

- Launch this command from a terminal :

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
this recreates ~/.wine

- Then launch my exe : result is exactly the same as before. :cry:
Do you have DosBox installed? If not, install it and then try running your app in Wine. Also, cd to the directory where the exe is located before running it.
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

DosBox was already installed. Although I did not launch it nor configure it because I have not yet investigated on how to do it.
(When I launch it, it opens a windows with a Z:\ directory)

cd to the directly of my exe : yes that's how I proceeded to launch it from a terminal.
same error always.

Thank you for your patience.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

mohican wrote:DosBox was already installed. Although I did not launch it nor configure it because I have not yet investigated on how to do it.
(When I launch it, it opens a windows with a Z:\ directory)
You shouldn't have to configure anything, but Wine's DosBox integration is still pretty buggy. And that may not be relevant; it was just a guess.

Is there a download for the app that doesn't work? I can test it on 64 bit openSUSE.
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

I put it here :
http://fousdirene.ouvaton.org/temp/SGBD.exe

SHA1 = fa4cf9be84c9ada3a2d63dd42d2ebe3694c2deb7

Program will not run properly without additionnal files needed, but if you can just launch it it will be better than what i can achieve !
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

mohican wrote:Program will not run properly without additionnal files needed, but if you can just launch it it will be better than what i can achieve !
It launches fine here in 1.5.3.

File a bug with Ubuntu, and mention that it works on openSUSE 11.4 x86_64.
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

Thanks for testing.

This good news : my app runs on 64 bits and the latest wine version,
and bad news : it seems I am stuck with the previous version of Ubuntu for a long time... (I will report it but I'm afraid this won't interest much people !)

(I also tested on a new user to make sure there was no trouble coming from my personal settings)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

mohican wrote:(I will report it but I'm afraid this won't interest much people !)
Actually, lots of people are having problems with Wine on 12.04. Seems to be a kernel issue.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30410
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/978678
mohican
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mohican »

Thanks. So there may be some hope for me...

Ubuntu 12.04 is really an unfinished version. I encountered myself about 25 new bugs after a week of configuring the official release !