32-bit Wine on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Vincent123
Level 2
Level 2

32-bit Wine on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04?

Post by Vincent123 »

Hello!
Installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit today, then wine, and found out that programs are now installed in directories like Program Files or Program Files (x86).
It seems like I have 64-bit Wine or something?..
Then I want to get a 32-bit ver of Wine on my 64-bit OS.
That may sound stupid, but I think some of my programs stopped working because of this.
When I tried installing WMP9 through Winetricks, it said that 64-bit OS aren't supported or something >_<
Please, help me to get the 32-bit version back! :(
dimesio

Re: 32-bit Wine on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04?

Post by dimesio »

Vincent123 wrote:Installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit today, then wine, and found out that programs are now installed in directories like Program Files or Program Files (x86).
It seems like I have 64-bit Wine or something?..
Then I want to get a 32-bit ver of Wine on my 64-bit OS.
That may sound stupid, but I think some of my programs stopped working because of this.
When I tried installing WMP9 through Winetricks, it said that 64-bit OS aren't supported or something >_<
Please, help me to get the 32-bit version back! :(
Yes, you have 64 bit Wine, and yes, that can cause many programs to stop working.

If properly packaged, you should also have 32 bit Wine, and can create a 32 bit wineprefix with WINEARCH=win32. Note this has to be set on wineprefix creation; you can't change the architecture of an existing wineprefix.

If not properly packaged to include the necessary 32 bit parts, I imagine Ubuntu does nonetheless have 32 bit packages for people using 32 bit Ubuntu, and you should be able to uninstall your 64 bit Wine and install just the 32 bit version. But I don't use Ubuntu, so you will have to ask about that on the Ubuntu forum.
Vincent123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vincent123 »

Thank you for your answer!
Got 32-bit version through win32 prefix.
But spent like half an hour looking for the command I need to use, so, posting it here:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
Before that I deleted .wine directory with all the stuff inside, because I needed Wine in its default directory :)
v_mil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by v_mil »

This solution is not helpful for DraftSight registration problem.
lord_eager

Post by lord_eager »

You can follow the procedure reported on winehq for a wine 32 bit install on a 64 bit architecture, that is needed if you need to compile your own 32bit wine and patching it. It uses a chroot 32 bit.
lord_eager

Re:

Post by lord_eager »

Vincent123 wrote:Thank you for your answer!
Got 32-bit version through win32 prefix.
But spent like half an hour looking for the command I need to use, so, posting it here:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
Before that I deleted .wine directory with all the stuff inside, because I needed Wine in its default directory :)
For the future it's prefereable to use the "env" command before the instructions especially if you are going to use different WINEPREFIXES.
Something like:

Code: Select all

env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.something wine
In this way the changing of the variables remains confined in a modified environment and does not affect your bash shell environment.
vitamin

Re: Re:

Post by vitamin »

lord_eager wrote:In this way the changing of the variables remains confined in a modified environment and does not affect your bash shell environment.
Incorrect.

Code: Select all

foo=bar command
Will only affect command. Read up on what exactly 'env' program does before confusing people.

OP:
You do not need to specify "WINEPREFIX" for a default location (~/.wine).
fantasticmuse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fantasticmuse »

Grrr!!!!

I have tried to install wine a hundred ways, tried to make a 32 bit prefix a hundred ways. Still get this.

wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/ashley/.wine' is a 64-bit installation.

Wth????
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

You need to delete/move .wine folder, then run "WINEARCH=win32 winecfg". Once it was created as 32 bit prefix, it will stay 32 bit. If it still shouldn't work, please post terminal output.
fantasticmuse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fantasticmuse »

*facepalm*

I need to actually read my terminal output. Thanks!