[Ubuntu 11.10] Unable to run (java?) games

Questions about Wine on Linux
Drowz0r
Level 1
Level 1

[Ubuntu 11.10] Unable to run (java?) games

Post by Drowz0r »

Hello everyone

The games I can get running in Wine through PlayOnLinux are for the most part, perfect.

However, there is a recently made Half Life mod called Cry Of Fear.

I was able to get the game installed just fine but the game is designed to render in OpenGL.

It appears the Wine is forcing rendering in D3D or something? OpenGL specific features, such as dynamic lighting aren't working. These reference a Dynamic linking file called OpenGL.dll

My question is, how do I get it to render in OpenGL instead of D3D?

I have set all the game settings to render in OpenGL. If the game attempts to render in D3D it alerts me with a warning - so from the game's perspective it's expecting to show me everything in an OpenGL style.

Any idea as to why this is happening? It makes some games, like this one, unplayable as flashlights, camera flashes, and other light sources not work so dark areas of the game are impossible to play :(

Thank you all in advance!
Drowz0r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Drowz0r »

Ok, so I can't edit my previous post and for some reason it's got the same title as my last one... even though I didn't copy and paste it or anything o.o
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Same response as to your other post: you need to post the log from PlayOnLinux to show that plain Wine was used and what, if any, tweaks were applied.
Drowz0r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Drowz0r »

dimesio wrote:Same response as to your other post: you need to post the log from PlayOnLinux to show that plain Wine was used and what, if any, tweaks were applied.
Replied on other thread.
vitamin

Re: [Ubuntu 11.10] Unable to run (java?) games

Post by vitamin »

Don't create duplicates. And read sticky. It says that editing is disabled.

Closing.