Evernote Cannot Connect To Internet

Questions about Wine on Linux
alex.nucleo

Post by alex.nucleo »

Hi

I'm trying to run Evernote under Wine and it installs correctly, but after that it asks for login and password. I put them, press login and it says "Can't connect to server. Please try later". The most sad thing was I could run Evernote successfully on Wine under previous versions of Ubuntu, but it doesn't work on the latest 12.04.

Versions of software I tried:
Evernote: 4.4.2, 4.5.4
Wine: 1.3.37, 1.4, 1.5.1
PlayOnLinux: 4.0.14, 4.0.16
Ubuntu Precise 12.04

Please give me any ideas how to have it running.

Log file for POL 4.0.16, Wine 1.4:

Code: Select all

[04/04/12 18:48:57] - Running wine- --version
wine-1.4

PlayOnLinux logfile
-------------------
Date: 04/04/12 18:48:57

> PlayOnLinux Version
> uname -a
  Linux nucleo-Inspiron-1520 3.2.0-21-generic-pae #34-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 29 22:33:16 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> lsb_release -a

> wine --version
  wine-1.4
> POL_WINEVERSION

> WINEPREFIX
  /home/nucleo/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/evernote
> glxinfo \| grep rendering
  direct rendering: Yes
> glxinfo \| grep renderer
  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV84
> OpenGL libs (Direct rendering testing)
  32bits direct rendering is enabled

[04/04/12 18:49:13] - This is a 32bits prefix!
[04/04/12 18:49:14] - Running wine- cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles%
C:\Program Files
[04/04/12 18:49:17] - Running wine- cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles%
C:\Program Files
[04/04/12 18:49:30] - Running wine- /home/nucleo/Downloads/Evernote_4.5.4.6498.exe
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:msi:ControlEvent_SpawnWaitDialog Doing Nothing
err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction Custom action (L"C:\\users\\nucleo\\Temp\\msi286c.tmp":L"ExitEvernoteApplications") caused a page fault: c0000005
fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter 4a 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c057 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c054 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c059 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c058 00000001
err:wgl:is_extension_supported No OpenGL extensions found, check if your OpenGL setup is correct!
err:wgl:is_extension_supported No OpenGL extensions found, check if your OpenGL setup is correct!
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x33512c, overlapped 0x15fdcc8): stub
fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x334fb4 0x00000ff0 0x334fb0) Stub!
[0404/184947:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(98)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
fixme:shell:SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID L"Evernote.Evernote.Client.4": stub
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:win:AnimateWindow partial stub
fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOption INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub
fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (60000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 60000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 300000
err:wininCan't attach process 002f: error 5
et:NETCON_secure_connect SSL_connect failed: 12157
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x0279e9e0 at address 0x60345d88 (thread 003f), starting debugger...
fixme:iphlpapi:CancelIPChangeNotify (overlapped 0x15fdcc8): stub
alex.nucleo

Post by alex.nucleo »

This is definitely an issue with SSL, because the same application can check for updates and recieves HTTP status 200 and a response. I've also tried to override wininet, but with no luck either.
alex.nucleo

Post by alex.nucleo »

Ok, I've run Evernote successfully. The problem was in libssl library installed in my system. By default Ubuntu 12.04 has only libssl1.0.0 installed. Probably Wine needs older libssl0.9.8 (which is fortunately in the same default repos too). When I installed older version of libssl, everything went fine. The new 1.0.0 version I left installed too, they work seamlessly together. I wonder why only Wine 1.3.0 says in logs that it lacks this lib. Later versions just silently fail in this case.
Plane

Post by Plane »

I'm having the same problem.

I use Ubuntu 12.04, Wine 1.5.2, Evernote 4.5.4 and I have libssl 0.9.8 as well as 1.0.0 installed.

"Could not connect to server"...
alex.nucleo

Post by alex.nucleo »

Plane wrote:I'm having the same problem.

I use Ubuntu 12.04, Wine 1.5.2, Evernote 4.5.4 and I have libssl 0.9.8 as well as 1.0.0 installed.

You can try another Wine version. I've tried many of them until I got Evernote working. I highly recommend you to use Play On Linux. It allows you to quickly install many Wine versions at the same time and try any application in its own pseudo virtual machine with different Wine version and different settings.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM, alex.nucleo <[email protected]> wrote:
Plane wrote:

You can try another Wine version. I've tried many of them until I got Evernote working. I highly recommend you to use Play On Linux.
One quick note: If your program does not work with POL, you will have
to contact them. If it does not work in Wine without POL, then you
can continue here.

However, if you found something that worked in one version but not a
newer, we need a regression test to tell us what update to the Wine
code needs more work.

James
Plane

Re: Evernote Cannot Connect To Internet

Post by Plane »

jjmckenzie wrote:On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM, alex.nucleo <> wrote:
Plane wrote:

You can try another Wine version. I've tried many of them until I got Evernote working. I highly recommend you to use Play On Linux.
One quick note: If your program does not work with POL, you will have
to contact them. If it does not work in Wine without POL, then you
can continue here.

However, if you found something that worked in one version but not a
newer, we need a regression test to tell us what update to the Wine
code needs more work.

James
Thanks for your help. I didn't know about Play on Linux and it's quite useful.

Evernote does work fine with Wine 1.4.0.
hdave

Post by hdave »

I used POL to install Wine 1.4.0 and am still getting the same "Cannot connect to server" error. Looking at the console output I see:

err:wininet:NETCON_secure_connect SSL_connect failed: 12157

Which is the same SSL problem that has been reported before.

I have libssl 0.9.8 installed. Installing wininet module did not fix the problem, but did seems to get the login screen to hang for a moment prior to reporting the error.

Can anyone who has this working explain exactly what versions and settings they used?
hdave

Post by hdave »

Apparently, POL uses the default system version of wine unless otherwise specified, so I was in fact using Wine 1.5.3 -- which doesn't work.

What really caused me to waste time was that the default version of Wine in the Ubuntu repo is 1.4.0 -- which for some reason doesn't work whereas the 1.4 that comes from POL does!!!

So to summarize:

1) Use POL and use it to install Wine 1.4 and it will Just Work with EN-4.5.4

2) Do not use the Wine 1.4.0 from the Ubuntu repo.

3) Wine 1.3.0 -- installer crashes.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM, hdave <[email protected]> wrote:
Apparently, POL uses the default system version of wine unless otherwise specified, so I was in fact using Wine 1.5.3 -- which doesn't work.

What really caused me to waste time was that the default version of Wine in the Ubuntu repo is 1.4.0 -- which for some reason doesn't work whereas the 1.4 that comes from POL does!!!

So to summarize:

1) Use POL and use it to install Wine 1.4 and it will Just Work with EN-4.5.4
If you use POL, you MUST report any problems encountered to them.

POL will provide feedback to the Wine project on what needs to be
corrected through the Wine Bugzilla or provide what is needed to make
certain programs work.

This is by agreement between the POL and Wine folks.

James
Ted Richards

Re:

Post by Ted Richards »

hdave wrote:I used POL to install Wine 1.4.0 and am still getting the same "Cannot connect to server" error. Looking at the console output I see:

Which is the same SSL problem that has been reported before.

I have libssl 0.9.8 installed. Installing wininet module did not fix the problem, but did seems to get the login screen to hang for a moment prior to reporting the error.

Can anyone who has this working explain exactly what versions and settings they used?
Kind of late, I know, but I am running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04, and found that both 1386 and AMD64 versions of libssl1.0.0 were installed, but only the 64-bit version of libssl.0.9.8 was installed, and POL+Evernote seems to need the i386 version of libssl0.9.8. I downloaded and installed it from

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/i3 ... 7ubuntu3.1

and everything seems OK now.
pearlbear

Post by pearlbear »

I'm having the same trouble getting evernote to work with wine in 12.04, and POL does not help. Same error, I have libssl 0.9.8 installed. Totally stumped.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi pearlbear,

are you running latest wine (1.5.10)? Do you have the 32 bit version of libssl installed? Please run evernote from command line and post output.
scorchgeek

Post by scorchgeek »

I'm having the same problem. I'm using Linux Mint 13 Maya, which shares most of the Ubuntu repositories.

I've tried POL from the repo as well as Wine 1.4 and 1.5.10. I also tried enabling the wininet override in the wine config, and I tried changing the operating system to Windows 7. I installed the i386 version of libssl-0.98 from the link mentioned earlier.

Here's the full output trying to run Evernote:

Code: Select all

$ wine Evernote_4.5.8.7356.exe
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken QueryInformationToken( ..., TokenElevationType, ...) semi-stub
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction Custom action (L"C:\\users\\soren\\Temp\\msi8a9.tmp":L"ExitEvernoteApplications") caused a page fault: c0000005
fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter 4a 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c044 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c043 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c046 00000001
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c045 00000001
[0815/153323:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(397)] Failed to load C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\chrome.pak
Some features may not be available.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x3345a0, overlapped 0x1785cf0): stub
fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x33464c 0x00000ff0 0x334688) Stub!
[0815/153323:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(111)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
fixme:shell:SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID L"Evernote.Evernote.Client.4": stub
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14a150,0x334cac: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x143d08,0x334cac: stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 15000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 60000
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14e7f8,0x333ccc: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14e870,0x333cbc: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14f5a0,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14e9b8,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14e9b8,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14ea30,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14ef40,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14f198,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14f288,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1531f8,0x333ce8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x153270,0x333cbc: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1532b8,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x153568,0x333cbc: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x154eb8,0x333ce8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x154f30,0x333cbc: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x154f78,0x333c48: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1552f8,0x334460: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1552f8,0x334460: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x157b80,0x334474: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x157c00,0x334468: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x157c00,0x33445c: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x157cd0,0x334414: stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 15000
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1842f8,0x333a30: stub
fixme:iphlpapi:CancelIPChangeNotify (overlapped 0x1785cf0): stub
scorchgeek

Post by scorchgeek »

Hold on, it works now!

Turns out the "system" version of wine that was installed when I installed POL *was* 1.4, but when I specifically installed 1.4 from within POL and selected it, it suddenly worked.

Problem solved.
miurahr

Post by miurahr »

Evernote server does not suppot TLSv1.1 and v1.2 stronger encryption of https connection.
On the other hand, OpenSSL v1.0.x now support TLS v1.1/1.2 then WINE also support it.

This causes the problem.

A solution is that disable TLSv1.1/1.2 on WINE.
Windows 7 also support TLSv1.1/1.2 but disabled by default.

A patch is as follows:
https://gist.github.com/3394551

Hiroshi
miurahr

Post by miurahr »

I post a fix on BTS.
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30598#c21

This patch improved to be able to switch enable/disable of TLS 1.1/1.2 with registry entry.
A gist is updated too.

Hiroshi
bruceoutdoors

Post by bruceoutdoors »

hey hiroshi

I download the wine 1.4 source code, applied the patch and used make install wine.

same error appears D:

linux mint 13 MATE
bruceoutdoors

Post by bruceoutdoors »

got evernote 4.5.8 up running and working with playonlinux. So, to save the trouble for many of the tech noobs like me out there here's a step by step instruction:

linux mint 13 mate:

1. install playonlinux from the software package manager
2. download libssl0.8.9 (I actually don't know if this makes a difference... but just install it)
3. run playonlinux, Tools>manage wine versions
4. choose wine1.4 and install it (sometimes the wine packages are unavailable, so come back and try again another time)
5. install>install-non-listed-program, there will be an option to choose which wine version you want. Pick wine1.4
6. after installation it should run and sync notes. YAY!