Trouble running iTunes 10.5.2 in Wine under Ubuntu 11.10

Questions about Wine on Linux
sarginitial

Trouble running iTunes 10.5.2 in Wine under Ubuntu 11.10

Post by sarginitial »

I will start out by saying that I'm a noob. I have used ubuntu as a tool to partition and format hard drives a bunch of times, but recently installed it on a 7 year old laptop because windows is just too much for it nowadays.

Anyway, I was curious if I could get iTunes to run. After a little research I installed wine and then iTunes. I was lucky that any of it worked. I don't know how to use the terminal very well, I know a few commands and about sudo, but I'm pretty much illiterate.

Anyway, everything in the iTunes installation went well and I told it not to enable autorun (just in case that wouldn't be compatible using wine or something)... Once iTunes started up for the first time, however, the entire GUI was messed up. I can see the very basic components of iTunes, but almost nothing works, or if it does, the GUI isn't displaying it. I can post a screen-shot of the GUI if it helps, but I figured I'd just start with this to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Like I said, I'm a noob. I don't know if I have to configure wine or anything... the wine user guide said something about ./configure in the terminal and I tried it and installed a few things that it told me to, but then it got to something about Xfree86 and I didn't know how to install that.... again, noob... lol

Thank you for any help you can provide.
dimesio

Re: Trouble running iTunes 10.5.2 in Wine under Ubuntu 11.10

Post by dimesio »

sarginitial wrote: the wine user guide said something about ./configure in the terminal and I tried it and installed a few things that it told me to, but then it got to something about Xfree86 and I didn't know how to install that.... again, noob... lol
./configure is used when you are building Wine yourself, and if you've already installed iTunes, then you must have already installed Wine, probably from a binary package from your distro, and you don't need to build it.

You didn't say what version of Wine you have or what version of iTunes. According to the AppDB, older versions of iTunes were usable, recent ones are much less likely to work. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=1347
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Sorry; just noticed you put the version of iTunes in the subject line. According to the AppDB, 10.5 doesn't work.