Best Linux For Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
johnywhy
Level 2
Level 2

Best Linux For Wine?

Post by johnywhy »

I've read there's a list on this site of the best/most-compatible linuxes for Wine. Can anyone direct me to the list?

Or, better, can anyone recommend the best Linux for running Microsoft Office on Wine?

Thanks!
dimesio

Re: Best Linux For Wine?

Post by dimesio »

johnywhy wrote:I've read there's a list on this site of the best/most-compatible linuxes for Wine. Can anyone direct me to the list?

Or, better, can anyone recommend the best Linux for running Microsoft Office on Wine?
There is no such list. There is a page of download links for binary Wine packages supplied by the major distros. http://www.winehq.org/download/

There is no one "best Linux" for Wine, and there are a lot of other factors to consider besides Wine in choosing a distro.
johnywhy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnywhy »

I'm well aware there are other factors to choosing a Linux distrib than whether it runs wine. I was not asking for general tips on how to pick a Linux distrib. I was only asking which one runs ms office on wine best.

Based on my minimal experience, I successfully ran ms excel on ubuntu, but could not get it to work on debian-based AV Linux, suggesting some linuxes run ms office better than others. Is that a mistaken conclusion?
glamdring

Post by glamdring »

johnywhy wrote:I'm well aware there are other factors to choosing a Linux distrib than whether it runs wine. I was not asking for general tips on how to pick a Linux distrib. I was only asking which one runs ms office on wine best.

Based on my minimal experience, I successfully ran ms excel on ubuntu, but could not get it to work on debian-based AV Linux, suggesting some linuxes run ms office better than others. Is that a mistaken conclusion?
In the my experience most cases are related to what version of Wine and any Wine extras the distro distributes by default. Also desktop effects etc.

99% of the time if I can get it to run on one distro it will run on the other, sometimes a it just needs a bit tweaking.
johnywhy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnywhy »

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give Bordeaux and Crossover a try. Thanks dimesio for the link!