Oneiric Ocelot Package missing from PPA

Questions about Wine on Linux
GlennLChugg
Level 2
Level 2

Oneiric Ocelot Package missing from PPA

Post by GlennLChugg »

http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/pp ... w/wine1.3/

I recently tried to install the Latest .29 WINE from the PPA and it ended up using the .15 version from the official Ubuntu 11.10 Repository instead.

Although it doesn't matter for .29 (as it has a bug that has since been fixed), I would like to know if we'll be expecting a package on the PPA for the next version, I have been content using git to install my own system, but would like to share with people the easiest way they can use WINE on Ubuntu 11.10 without having to refer to untrusted/unofficial PPA's

I am unsure when we are expecting the next Beta version of WINE (is there a way we can easily find out the progress?) but will there be oneiric packages when it does happen?

7 Days left until Ubuntu 11.10 goes gold, it would be great to have the WINE PPA ready for the demand of thousands of new installs getting their WINE working perfect ;)
dimesio

Re: Oneiric Ocelot Package missing from PPA

Post by dimesio »

GlennLChugg wrote: I am unsure when we are expecting the next Beta version of WINE (is there a way we can easily find out the progress?) but will there be oneiric packages when it does happen?
Development releases come out approximately every two weeks. Packages are built by the distros; ask your distro's package maintainer about when Wine packages will be available for oneiric.
GlennLChugg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GlennLChugg »

Thanks for 2 week information.
ask your distro's package maintainer about when Wine packages will be available for oneiric.
I was ;) If he doesn't check the WINE forums, he's not the best person to be asking now is he?

I am able to compile WINE myself, but to package it up inside a deb, I am not sure how you guys do this, to do it manually would be VERY time consuming and prone to me making mistakes. is their an easy way to make the compiled output not be mixed in with the source code like it currently is for me?

I'd rather offer people my PPA than to offer someone else's, but I do need to know how to do it properly, as "make install" is obviously not the way I should be generating the files needed to create the deb. There must be some simple way to set the make install to output to another structure and not the actual OS's folders (current system).

Any help with this would be appreciated.

P.S. I wouldn't have a clue where to find the distro's package manager.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

GlennLChugg wrote: I was ;) If he doesn't check the WINE forums, he's not the best person to be asking now is he?
I doubt any of the package maintainers read the forum regularly, if they even read it at all.
P.S. I wouldn't have a clue where to find the distro's package manager.
http://www.winehq.org/download/
GlennLChugg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GlennLChugg »

Thanks, eMailed him off the questions, now all I can do is wait...
GlennLChugg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GlennLChugg »

Scott Ritchie took my Whining about this serious, the first thing he did when .30 came out was package up oneiric for the PPA

http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

So if you want the latest WINE for Ubuntu 11.10 then follow the instructions above and even tho it's not yet mentioned as being available for 11.10 it IS!

Thanks Scott, I am very happy now.

Can't wait to see what 11.10 will do for the Linux Community - I've had lots of fun this time around, usually I am fighting with Linux until it beats me in to submission and I go crawling back to Windows, but I've stayed in this new Ubuntu and have learned many new things.

I'll keep reporting bugs in the future and will follow them through till they are fixed. WINE is vital for Linux gamers and those tools that just aren't available to Linux users yet... C'mon GIMP 2.7.3+ for Ubuntu x64... I like Single window mode, they just need to auto size the canvas on each layer, the yellow bounding boxes just annoy me :D he he he.

Well back to the grind stone.