Wine Gecko download problems on Kubuntu 10.10 w/Wine 1.3.28

Questions about Wine on Linux
edwinbarton

Wine Gecko download problems on Kubuntu 10.10 w/Wine 1.3.28

Post by edwinbarton »

I can't seem to get wine to recognize my installation of Wine Gecko 1.3 at all. I have the Wine PPA added to my sources already and have installed the 'wine1.3-gecko' package using Synaptic (personal preference over Kpackagekit or Muon) along with of course the actual wine 1.3 package and the symbol font replacement package for 1.3. I have also tried the 'manual install' listed on the main gecko page at http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko but it still won't work. I have even tried reinstalling all of the related packages using Synaptic but still no success. I tried to use winetricks at one point to install Internet Explorer and am wondering if this may be the source of my problem (the install failed miserably). If this is the case how can I clean it up? I'd rather not have to trash my current wine configuration if possible, I have several programs installed that I had to manually install and several more that are just a real pain to install and reconfigure to get working under wine.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
Edwin Barton (edwinbarton)

P.S. I should also point out that running:

Code: Select all

wine iexplore.exe http://winehq.org
opens up Wine Internet Explorer but all I get is a blank window where a webpage should be displayed, I don't get a prompt to install gecko like many people have reported should be happening, just a blank window and no web pages will load at all in it (tried google, yahoo, and a few others all with no luck, no error message displayed in window, just no web page at all).
dimesio

Re: Wine Gecko download problems on Kubuntu 10.10 w/Wine 1.3

Post by dimesio »

edwinbarton wrote: I tried to use winetricks at one point to install Internet Explorer and am wondering if this may be the source of my problem (the install failed miserably). If this is the case how can I clean it up?
Run winecfg, go to the libraries tab, remove all overrides.
edwinbarton

Re: Wine Gecko download problems on Kubuntu 10.10 w/Wine 1.3

Post by edwinbarton »

dimesio wrote:
edwinbarton wrote: I tried to use winetricks at one point to install Internet Explorer and am wondering if this may be the source of my problem (the install failed miserably). If this is the case how can I clean it up?
Run winecfg, go to the libraries tab, remove all overrides.
Thanks that seems to have done the trick, now hopefully it didn't negatively impact any of my other programs. Guess time will tell. Anyway, Thanks Again!