getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Questions about Wine on Linux
Locked
lin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:36 am

getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Post by lin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:37 am

hello dear Community,

i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
(see http://winscp.net )

How to do this. Can some one help me here!

Love to hear from you

greetings lin

BTW How to import the keys..? I guess that is not a big problem

User avatar
dimesio
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12844
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use Win

Post by dimesio » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 am

lin wrote: i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
(see http://winscp.net )

How to do this. Can some one help me here!
On openSUSE, just add the Wine repository and install with Yast: http://en.opensuse.org/Wine#Repositories
Basic information on how to use Wine: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
Check the AppDB for specific information on the app you are trying to run: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=1285

lin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:36 am

Re: getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use Win

Post by lin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:38 am

hello dmesio

many many thanks for writing!
dimesio wrote:
lin wrote: i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
(see http://winscp.net )

How to do this. Can some one help me here!
On openSUSE, just add the Wine repository and install with Yast: http://en.opensuse.org/Wine#Repositories
Basic information on how to use Wine: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
Check the AppDB for specific information on the app you are trying to run: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=1285
thx - i will have a closer look at this faq

greetings lin

vitamin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6605
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Re: getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use Win

Post by vitamin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 am

lin wrote:i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
Don't do that. There are many native Linux programs that support scp/sftp/ssh protocols. Use them instead.

jjmckenzie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 pm

getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Post by jjmckenzie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:36 am

On 9/11/11 6:37 AM, lin wrote:
hello dear Community,

i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
(see http://winscp.net )
The question is WHY do you want to use WinSCP on Linux/UNIX?

There are native GUI applications that are a much better 'fit'.

James

lin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:36 am

Re: getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use Win

Post by lin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:36 pm

hello James hello vitamin

many thanks for the answers!

jjmckenzie wrote:On 9/11/11 6:37 AM, lin wrote:
hello dear Community,

i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
(see http://winscp.net )
The question is WHY do you want to use WinSCP on Linux/UNIX?

There are native GUI applications that are a much better 'fit'.

James

perhaps i try to use some other clients - GUI-Apps
http://alternativeto.net/software/winsc ... form=linux

well - the question is - can i import the keys (that i run on WinSCP) with ease! If So then i sure give the others a try....

Tonight i will try out to import the keys.

greetings
lin

Martin Gregorie

getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Post by Martin Gregorie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:34 pm

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 12:36 -0500, lin wrote:
perhaps i try to use some other clients - GUI-Apps
http://alternativeto.net/software/winsc ... form=linux

well - the question is - can i import the keys (that i run on WinSCP) with ease! If So then i sure give the others a try....
FYI Filezilla also has a Linux port that works OK with some FTP servers.
I've never tried its sftp capabilities. However I don't use it because I
prefer the more minimalist GUI design of gftp, but ymmv.

If I'm shifting files over the SSH protocol I use scp and sftp from the
command line, with a preference for scp if I'm moving one or two files.
If I'm moving a directory-full, gftp is my weapon of choice.

One that isn't mentioned in your referenced URL is wget, which does a
slightly different job to curl. curl transfers the list of files you
give it while wget is optimised for pulling down web pages together with
all images, subordinate web pages, etc. that the target page references.

Martin

jjmckenzie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 pm

getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Post by jjmckenzie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:18 pm

On 9/11/11 10:36 AM, lin wrote:
hello James hello vitamin

many thanks for the answers!



jjmckenzie wrote:
On 9/11/11 6:37 AM, lin wrote:
hello dear Community,

i want to get wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP
(see http://winscp.net )
The question is WHY do you want to use WinSCP on Linux/UNIX?

There are native GUI applications that are a much better 'fit'.

James
perhaps i try to use some other clients - GUI-Apps
http://alternativeto.net/software/winsc ... form=linux

well - the question is - can i import the keys (that i run on WinSCP) with ease! If So then i sure give the others a try....
I'll have to look at this, but I suspect that the keys are just encoded
(bit-64 maybe) ASCII text. Copying them to the keyring may be possible
from WinSCP to whatever you want to use.

The best thing to do is export the public key from the server and add it
using whatever program you choose's import key process. I do this with
PuTTY and it is not that hard.

James

Martin Gregorie

getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use WinSCP

Post by Martin Gregorie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:58 pm

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 13:17 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
On 9/11/11 10:36 AM, lin wrote:
hello James hello vitamin

many thanks for the answers!



jjmckenzie wrote:
On 9/11/11 6:37 AM, lin wrote:
The question is WHY do you want to use WinSCP on Linux/UNIX?

There are native GUI applications that are a much better 'fit'.

James
perhaps i try to use some other clients - GUI-Apps
http://alternativeto.net/software/winsc ... form=linux

well - the question is - can i import the keys (that i run on WinSCP) with ease! If So then i sure give the others a try....
I'll have to look at this, but I suspect that the keys are just encoded
(bit-64 maybe) ASCII text. Copying them to the keyring may be possible
from WinSCP to whatever you want to use.

The best thing to do is export the public key from the server and add it
using whatever program you choose's import key process. I do this with
PuTTY and it is not that hard.
Grabbing the public key is really easy on linux: from the command line,
run the command:

ssh user@host

This gets you a mini-lecture about man-in-the middle attacks, shows the
target hostname and IP number and asks whether you really want to make
this connection. Answer 'yes' and the public key is copied into
$HOME/.ssh/known_hosts followed by the normal prompt for a password.

After that you just get the password prompt until/unless the OS on the
remote host is reinstalled, which causes the connection to be refused
because the public key no longer matches: the first thing sshd, the SSH
server, does after a clean install is to generate the host's public key.
The recovery is to edit $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts and remove all lines that
start with that host name - there will be either one or two of them.
Then repeat the command that failed and you'll get the mini-lecture and
be asked whether you want connect as described above.


Martin

vitamin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6605
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Re: getting wine to run on OpenSuse 11.4-in order to use Win

Post by vitamin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 am

Martin Gregorie wrote:This gets you a mini-lecture about man-in-the middle attacks, shows the target hostname and IP number and asks whether you really want to make this connection. Answer 'yes' and the public key is copied into $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts followed by the normal prompt for a password.
You talking about host key, not the user key.
lin wrote:well - the question is - can i import the keys (that i run on WinSCP) with ease! If So then i sure give the others a try....
Yes of course. You need to save it in an openSSH format (at least the private key) and put it in ~/.ssh directory. Don't forget to add that file to ~/.ssh/config file as:

Code: Select all

IdentityFile ~/.ssh/MyKey1.key
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/MyKey2.key

Locked