[ubuntu 11.10] Wow with low fps

Questions about Wine on Linux
Zettaichi

[ubuntu 11.10] Wow with low fps

Post by Zettaichi »

I have done some research and I haven't found any other answer but the following:
Tweak #1

The following from http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5606 , a simple registry edit for Wine that dramatically increases the framerate in game for both ATi and nVidia users (reportedly, I have only verified with nVidia using Wine 0.9.22):

Code:
regedit
Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\

Highlight the wine folder in the left hand pane by clicking left on it. The icon should change to an open folder

Click right on the wine folder and select [NEW] then [KEY]

Replace the text "New Key #1" with OpenGL

Click right in the right hand pane and select [NEW] then [String Value]

Replace "New Value #1" with "DisabledExtensions"
(Notice it's case sensitive)

Then double click anywhere on the line, a dialog box will open.
In the value field type "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" (without the quotes).
The only problem I have is that is not really helping the frames (running between 6-18 outside of main city).
Is there anything else I have to look into? in win7 i was getting 60 fps no matter what.

My system is a intel i7 950 3.06Ghz, AMD Radeon HD 6950 and using ubuntu 11.10 64bit.
[/code][/quote]
Zettaichi

Post by Zettaichi »

I forgot to tell you guys but I'm really new to linux.

I was readying another post and I want to check if I do have to do something regarding the opengl. Do I have to install it or it comes with ubuntu 11.10 or wine?

Thanks in advance
mikkelkromann
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikkelkromann »

Do you run WoW in OpenGL or DirectX mode? OpenGL is better supported and may give you better framerates.

In you Config.wtf file:

SET gxApi "opengl"

Your hardware should give much nicer fps even with most settings on ultra, although OpenGL will strip you of some higher quality settings like shadows and liquid detail

Have you tried to set these on "low" to see effect on fps - these are particularly susceptible to cause low fps.

Nvidia in my understanding is a bit more easygoing with Linux/wine than ATI, but that's probably of little use to you ...

cheers