[Ubuntu 10.10/wine 1.3.16] Nonexistent printers in pulldown

Questions about Wine on Linux
rlindau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlindau »

The applications I run under wine (e.g., Quicken 2007, notepad) list "nonexistent" printers in their printer selection pulldown lists. Of the eight or ten listed, only two are really configured on my system.

It appears that the wine list contains residue from previous installations / deinstallations of printers, which I had done via the cups configuration tool (system-config-printer 1.2.3)

My cups config file shows just two printers, as does http://localhost:631/printers/. My non-wine apps show just those two printers.

Can someone point me to where wine finding the "bogus" printers? If it's some editable source, can I just delete the entries there?

Thanks, Rob L
rlindau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlindau »

I've learned a bit more about this problem...

1. The wine-recognized printers are recorded in the wine registry - I can find them (and associated ports) via regedit.

What I haven't figured out is what to delete in the registry: When I delete all references to the printers/port I consider nonexistent, I end up messing up wine's print capability overall (message to the effect that the printing system is inactive, will record the message next time I try it...).

2. It does seem that printer additions (via system-config-printer 1.2.3) are reflected in the wine registry, but not printer deletions (ditto) are not. I suppose I should submit that as a bug report (but I don't know if it's a general issue, or something peculiar to me).

Thx, RL
rosch
Level 2
Level 2

same here

Post by rosch »

It seems this is general..at least I am having the same issues.
I guess there are not many people printing from wine applications..

Did you make any progress in getting the entries deleted?

The entries are in at least the following registry files:
~/.wine/user.reg
~/.wine/system.reg
rosch
Level 2
Level 2

manually remove lines

Post by rosch »

I can confirm that removing all corresponding lines from both files has been working for me :-).
Just parse through the files searching for the old printer names.
rlindau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlindau »

[Now I'm on Mint 12 with wine 1.3.35]

Yes, I still have the problem (although I've ignored it). What seems to happen is that when I use the printer manager to remove a printer, wine doesn't learn of / recognize the deletion. I'll try editing the registry files you pointed out (but I screwed up my system last time I tried that). I may also check whether resetting my system using winetrick will do the job (my guess is that it will).

Thanks, Rob L