Baldur's gate II - 'rest' function problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
Mceepo

Post by Mceepo »

I run Ubuntu 10.4 and Wine 1.2

Everything works fine, I had no problems with installation but during the tutorial (I haven't tried elsewhere) when learning about casting spells I am told to click 'rest' but this results in a blank, black screen.

I have tried running with and without 3D acceleration as well as in 16bit and 32bit modes but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Post by 20018183 »

I am having the same problem. Did you work out a solution?
Everything else works well for me.
myownlittlworld

Post by myownlittlworld »

Give it a few minutes (Alt-Tabbing out and back into the game a few times). You'll find out that you just rested for 22 days at once.

It seems random when it happens, but also seems save-specific.
johannrobin

If someone else has this problem.

Post by johannrobin »

I installed Baldur's Gate II from the GOG installer, played the game for a while without problems. One day it decided not to respond when trying to rest, forcing me to restart the computer (alt-tabbing did nothing). When doing this every save of that session was ignored (does the game write the save files permanently upon closing the game?).

What I did was reinstalling the game from the GOG installer. Save folder is not modified. It's annoying if you have the widescreen mod or fixes installed, but better than not being able to rest at all, and only takes about a minute.

I searched alot for information on this, but didn't find any so this will have to do in the meantime.

Extra info: It also showed a not responding black screen when dying, so it seems like the movies are somehow troubling the game. I changed the movies to 0 in the baldur.ini file, but for some reason the movie settings always reset themselves.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM, johannrobin <[email protected]> wrote:
I installed Baldur's Gate II from the GOG installer, played the game for a while without problems. One day it decided not to respond when
trying to rest, forcing me to restart the computer (alt-tabbing did nothing). When doing this every save of that session was ignored (does the
game write the save files permanently upon closing the game?).
Since Wine is a user level program, it cannot 'lock up' the system.

Did you try to switch to a text only terminal session and stop the
wine processes using wineserver -k?

If that did not work please provide:
Linux distribution and version.
Wine version (wine -version)
Video card and driver versions

Thank you.

James