How to get MS-Access to run with Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
newbumblebee

How to get MS-Access to run with Wine?

Post by newbumblebee »

Hi everybody,
as I am a total newbee to Linux and Wine, would you please help me? I run a notebook with tuxedo OS, an Ubuntu derivate. I have a MS-Access 2000 database which I would like to go on using -- up to now, it is running inside a VMWare-sandbox with Windows 7. Somehow I get neither VirtualBox to run the vmdk nor VMWare to run on my new notebook. So I searched for other ways to get access to my Access database.

I have already installed Wine 6.0.3 as this was proposed by the Tuxedo installer.
How do I move Access to my new computer? Can I just copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12 to somewhere -- and whereto?
After installing / copying: How do I start it with my database?

Has anybody experiences with Wine + Access 2000?

Thank you very much.
Newbumblebee
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to get MS-Access to run with Wine?

Post by jkfloris »

Unfortunately for Office 2007 you cannot move the installation folder. This is because changes are made to the registry during the installation. These changes are not included with just copying. You will have to reinstall the program with Wine.

According to the AppDB, the installation of Office 2007 should work. There aren't up-to-date test results available for MS Access, so I don't know if Access 2007 works.

If the program does not work, try installing Wine 7.
newbumblebee

Post by newbumblebee »

Thank you for your answer, jkfloris.

Would you mind telling me how to reinstall Access with Wine -- or where I can find some documentation?

...finally one step further...
Newbumblebee
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Often it is enough to run something like

Code: Select all

wine setup.exe
You could find more information on the WineHQ Wiki.