Need For Speed Underground 2 - DLL override - game not launching - Steam Deck

Questions about Wine on Linux
dustojnikhummer

Need For Speed Underground 2 - DLL override - game not launching - Steam Deck

Post by dustojnikhummer »

Let me start by apologizing if this is not the correct place to ask, but I can't find anywhere else to post this. The Steam Deck Discord was not helpful at all.
Okay, what am I trying to do.
I'm trying to get the widescreen patch for old Need For Speed Games (Underground 2 and Most Wanted 05) working. The patch relies on a dinput8.dll. The official documentation doesn't say much.
https://cookieplmonster.github.io/setup ... roton-wine
So what is my issue?
If I either add the Steam launch parameter or add the dinput8 override in Winecfg, the game will NOT lauch in Desktop mode (xorg), but it does launch in Game Mode (gamescope - Wayland).
Because of the way the SteamOS filesystem is set up I have installed the Wine7 Flatpak and used Protontricks to access the PFX and its Winecfg.
Any ideas what can I do to run the game in desktop? If I remove the override (either winecfg or steam parameter) the game launches just fine, but without the widescreen patch.
Saikat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Need For Speed Underground 2 - DLL override - game not launching - Steam Deck

Post by Saikat »

Can you send your error code or error list ?
dustojnikhummer

Re: Need For Speed Underground 2 - DLL override - game not launching - Steam Deck

Post by dustojnikhummer »

Saikat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:38 pm Can you send your error code or error list ?
If I knew how to provide I would, but I don't. Steam just doesn't launch the game. I don't even know if it tries and the game crashes.
If there are logs can you point me in the right direction?