Problem with Planet of the Apes

Questions about Wine on Linux
alrito
Level 2
Level 2

Problem with Planet of the Apes

Post by alrito »

Hello everyone,

I have a retro game that I'm trying to run on Wine (Planet of the Apes).
The problem is that when I launch the game, it shows me two windows in the taskbar: one called (DirectDrawDeviceWnd) and the other the game.
To play it, I have to open it with the task manager (linux side) and then select the DirectDraw shortcut... and then do some manipulations with the mouse, the keyboard and the miracle. The game has graphics, sound and controls.
I am under Kubuntu (Kde Plasma 5.24.4)

Is it normal that there are two windows that open and to do all manipulation to play it while in the logic, we launch the game on the desktop and we have the graphics (in full screen or not), the sound and the controls?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
alrito
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem with Planet of the Apes

Post by alrito »

I saw in the APPDB of Wine that there was a game (Soldier of Fortune) that I have, so that it works, it was necessary to put a variable of environment MESA in /etc/ environment.

For Planet of the Apes, would it be necessary to have a variable that would avoid having two pages open at the same time?
alrito
Level 2
Level 2

[Resolved]Problem with Planet of the Apes

Post by alrito »

That's it, I solved the problem.
To remedy it, you have to go to winecfg then the tab Display and uncheck "Allow the window manager to control the windows" and there,
no more bug in the display of the game but it works only on the wine-stable version of ubuntu. Here is