Axcient x360Sync

Questions about Wine on Linux
tcv
Level 1
Level 1

Axcient x360Sync

Post by tcv »

Before I go down this rabbit hole…

I use an uncommon application in Windows and macOS. Before I even try to get this working, I wanted to list its features and integration and see if WINE can even approach it.

1. It runs a systray icon that’s crucial to tell the user its status and to access preferences and other actions.

2. A service runs that monitors directories the start at a root off the user’s directory (C:\Users\[username]\SyncedTool\)

3. When a user opens a common file (e.g. file.docx), the software communicates up to a cloud server to lock the file. When the user closes the file, the software tells the server to unlock the file.

4. When the user saves a change to the file, the software synchronizes block-level changes to a cloud service. (Similar to OneDrive or DropBox.)

5. Within the interface that’s brought up via the systray icon mentioned in point one above, there’s an option to access the website in which the data is stored, among other things. So this uses the default web browser in Windows.

6. It also adds an overlay to Explorer icons to indicate sync status. I don’t care about this so much, but it is helpful.

It seems to be a lot and it’s pretty darned critical so I don’t want to try if it’s likely to fail. I’ve used WINE before, quite a few times , but not for anything so complex. It seems more suited for a VM or remote machine.

Thanks, all.