using wine with NTFS file system

Questions about Wine on Linux
sponsor61
Level 3
Level 3

using wine with NTFS file system

Post by sponsor61 »

Please help with a wine/NTFS error. I'm using wine 7.0 rc5 with Ubuntu 20.10 on a laptop. I set up a wine prefix directory in an NTFS formatted external hard drive connected to a laptop USB 2 port. When I run wine on the file "setup.exe" on the NTFSP external drive, the dosdevices and drive_c directories are created in the wineprefix directory on the NTFS external drive, but the dosdevices directory is empty. The wine command and error messages are as follows:

> export WINEPREFIX="$PWD/WP"

> wine "$WINEPREFIX/setup.exe"

0024:err:file:init_redirects /media/ese/Elements/esports-for-engineers/MON/WP/dosdevices/c:/windows: No such file or directory
wine: could not open working directory L"C:\\windows\\system32\\", starting in the Windows directory.
002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 7.0-rc5 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
002c:err:wineboot:main Cannot set the dir to L"C:\\windows" (2)
wine: could not open working directory L"C:\\windows\\system32\\", starting in the Windows directory.
0040:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
sponsor61
Level 3
Level 3

Re: using wine with NTFS file system

Post by sponsor61 »

Would the problem disappear if the 1 Terabyte external drive were formated FAT32 rather than NTFS?