Sharing violation when using editing files on ntfs partition with wine app

Questions about Wine on Linux
Bobby_crombo

Sharing violation when using editing files on ntfs partition with wine app

Post by Bobby_crombo »

Hi all,

I use musicbee as my music player, and it's super convenient for me to be able to use the same player, playlists, preferences etc on both windows and linux on my dual-boot pc. However, I have an issue where I can' make any edits to any files (add to playlist, like a track, edit track etc etc) as it gives me the following error:

Code: Select all

Sharing violation. Thiis file cannot be update as another application has this file open at the same time.
Checking fuser on the files in question show that they are used by 'MusicBee.exe' and 'wineserver', probably meaning that wineserver is what's causing musicbee to lock up on making these edits.
Another possibility is permission errors, as I can see that files in the music directory are drwxr-xr-x. I've tried changing this with chmod 777 and changing permissions in /etc/fstab but that doesn't seem to have any effect, possibly due to the fact that it's a shared ntfs partition. However, I am able to make changes to these files outside of musicbee so this purely a problem with wine.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Merulox

Re: Sharing violation when using editing files on ntfs partition with wine app

Post by Merulox »

I'm in that exact same scenario, having the exact same issue
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Possibly the issue described here: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Does_Wine_r ... systems.3F
One example is that the ntfsv3 drivers do not support shared-write mmap, a feature that cannot be emulated and is used by applications such as Steam.
Have you tried installing on (or copying to) a Linux fs (probably ext4)? That could confirm things.
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoseskVolpe »

¿Do you have ntfs-3g driver installed?

Code: Select all

ntfs-3g --version
Old native Linux NTFS support is very limited, and while the new native NTFS Paragon's driver is full of features and has shown better capabilities than ntfs-3g, Wine currently might have issues with it, ntfs-3g FUSE implementation is currently the best option for Wine