Wine under Ubuntu 21.10

Questions about Wine on Linux
Opariti
Level 1
Level 1

Wine under Ubuntu 21.10

Post by Opariti »

Hi,
I'm new to Wine that I intend to further use.
I have installed it in Ubuntu 21.10 from the command line

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wine
then tried to execute notepad.exe on a dual boot machine, both by copying notepad.exe in the home diectory

wine notepad.exe
and from the mounted location

wine /media/ginger/Windows10/Windows/System32/notepad.exe
I'm getting errors in both cases. What am I doing wrong (from installation to usage)?
Thanks for help
Opariti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine under Ubuntu 21.10

Post by Opariti »

In fact I realize that the installation procedure should be as per the winehq guides (and not the above mentioned) ...
However, the issue is still pending because I see that there is no Wine repository for 'Impish Indri' so far, thus my updated question: does the 'Hirsute Hippo' would be compatible to use for the Wine installation under Ubuntu 21.10?
Thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#I_have_lots ... in_Wine.3F

Wine has its own notepad replacement, and that's what you should be trying to run. You didn't say exactly where you copied notepad.exe to--if you copied it to the wineprefix, you've now messed it up by overwriting Wine's version. Delete ~/.wine and then run winecfg from the command line; it should automatically recreate the wineprefix. If that works as expected (the winecfg window should appear), try notepad.exe.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Opariti wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:20 am However, the issue is still pending because I see that there is no Wine repository for 'Impish Indri' so far, thus my updated question: does the 'Hirsute Hippo' would be compatible to use for the Wine installation under Ubuntu 21.10?
Installing a package built for a different version is not supported. We will eventually have a repository for 21.10, once problems with the build server are solved. You can use the distro package, but note that the version it installs is old (5.0.3).
Opariti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Opariti »

Thank you, I'll wait then the package for 21.10.