How to change the default wine paths

Questions about Wine on Linux
Schorsch
Level 1
Level 1

How to change the default wine paths

Post by Schorsch »

Hello,

I guess the title might be a tad confusing, I am sorry for that. Anyway I guess I need to explain what I want to achieve.

I have multiple self compiled wine builds on my system. How am I able to set them as "default". By default I mean so that it gets called by stuff like winetricks. Some Googling brought up the setup for q4winehttps://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/documen ... l#winepath. Which I guess means that I have to export 4 env variables, which I don't know the names of.

Any help is apreciated ;)

PS: In case I wasn't clear enough, I am not asking how to use my self compiled wine builds, I already know that (would be weird otherwise), I am just asking how to export them correctly so that helper programs like winetricks use them.

Oh and in case this is somehow related to the package management I am using Ubuntu.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to change the default wine paths

Post by invisible kid »

Just opinions of a regular user. I think winetricks only goes by ~/.wine, so if you have
~/.wine-staging-6.0
~/.wine-staging-6.15
~/.wine-staging-6.17
you can just use a symbolic link like:

Code: Select all

cd
ln -s .wine-staging-6.17 .wine
Of course there can be no current ~/.wine folder, if there is change the name. Then you can remove and create the .wine pointer to whichever one you want winetricks to apply to.
I'm pretty sure this is correct, but not 100%.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Winetricks understand the following environment variables:
WINE=<path/to/wine/install/>
WINEARCH=<win32 or win64>
WINEPREFIX=<path/to/wine/prefix>

For example, you can start winetricks with:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=/home/schorsch/wine-test/  WINE=/home/schorsch/wine/self-build/6.18/bin/wine winetricks
Schorsch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Schorsch »

Many thanks for your answers.

@Invisible Kid, this is not what I am looking for. You are describing how to change the prefix and you should use the $WINEPREFIX variable for that, like the post below describes (just leave out WINE=xxx)

@jkfloris Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for. I actually did try WINE=path/to/wine, but somehow I seem to have misinterpreted the outcome I had back then. Tried it again and this works, many thanks ;
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Glad you fixed your issue.