Unable to locate package winehq-stable

Questions about Wine on Linux
HansKlaver

Unable to locate package winehq-stable

Post by HansKlaver »

Hello everyone,

Trying to install a Wine binary for the first time on Linux Mint 18.1 I followed the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu .
I did the following steps:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
sudo apt-get update

So far all went well, but after the command sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable I received the message:
Unable to locate package winehq-stable.

Could you please give me a clue how to fix this?

--
Hans Klaver
dimesio

Re: Unable to locate package winehq-stable

Post by dimesio »

The most common cause of this problem is a typo when adding the repository. What you posted here should have worked, but you may have mistyped when actually running the command. What's in your sources.list file?
Rizzano

Post by Rizzano »

Greetings,

I don't know how to figure out if I have mint. I am brand new to linux and am using it not by choice (free laptop I got came with it) and I am running galliumOS, a variation of linux built on top of Ubuntu. I have tried 4 times to install wine and all 4 times it says unable to locate winehq-stable. I tried using one of the mint command lines but when I do that repository command the command line goes to this:

>

and then I am unable to use anymore commands.

But when I do whats normally listed it just says unable to locate package.
wxdhag

Post by wxdhag »

I'm new to linux too and I got the same message "Unable to locate package winehq-stable"

I'm using mint 19. I did the copy and paste thing per the information on the downloads page. All seemed to go well enough, since I had no complaints from the terminal till the end. If there is a typo, it might be on the last command, perhaps? below is what I copied and pasted

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

After that was when I got the Unable to locate package winehq-stable
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

wxdhag wrote: I'm using mint 19. I did the copy and paste thing per the information on the downloads page.
I'm sure you think you did, but you probably made a mistake somewhere, and you haven't provided enough information to troubleshoot the issue.

When asking for help with something like this you need to copy from the terminal the exact commands you entered and the terminal output and paste them into your post (and use code tags).
Pippoi

Post by Pippoi »

it happened to me too on both Debian and Arch Linux, how do i solve? and I'm sure, and I swear what you want, I have copied and pasted.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Terminal output?