Help between possible errors!

Questions about Wine on Linux
Kernel-chan

Help between possible errors!

Post by Kernel-chan »

I had Wine 6.0-stable installed on Linux Mint 20.1 normally, but then I decided to install LMMS from apt-get terminal, it removed Wine or some it's dependencies and I don't know if it broke or something, I ended up switching to the staging branch, is it all gonna be okay with the dependencies ? :(
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Help between possible errors!

Post by jkfloris »

Which packages were removed?
In /var/log/apt/history.log and /var/log/apt/term.log you can reread what happened.
Kernel-chan

Post by Kernel-chan »

Well imagine if the Wine files corrupted from whatevs shutdown and I removed it and replaced it with 6.5-staging, will the dependencies be alright? Or what Gecko version or Mono should I get?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

You can check on the wiki: Gecko and Mono

It looks like Gecko is the same version for 6.0 and 6.5. For Mono there was an update since 6.0 (and will be again for 6.6?). You can download it and put it where wine expects it to be, or if you don't wine is supposed to offer to download it at runtime.

Any other dependencies should have been handled by the package manager. (There's a few odd exceptions but don't worry about it unless something isn't working.)
Kernel-chan

Post by Kernel-chan »

So I can switch from the stable branch to staging by reinstalling then?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Kernel-chan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 pm So I can switch from the stable branch to staging by reinstalling then?
If you're following the instructions on this site you can have either or both installed, actually. If you install winehq-stable that will make stable the default but you can also install wine-staging and it will be available by specifying the path, like /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine. Hopefully that's clear.