vcredist2008 produces empty directories all over the disk

Questions about Wine on Linux
tslnox

vcredist2008 produces empty directories all over the disk

Post by tslnox »

I am on Gentoo, with wine-staging-3.8, clean WINEARCH=win32 prefix. When I start either wine vcrun2008 or winetricks vcredist2008 (it is not a bug in winetricks then) it starts creating empty directories with temporary names (e.g. efc41616fd39fff0544ff3014b36361b) on disk it can get to (weirdly enough, it isn't dosdevices/c:), also first time it chose one partition and second time another one. By using WINEDEBUG=all I only found out it tried to use dosdevices/x:: and then dosdevices/r::

I tried to remove all disks except c: from winecfg, but symlinks are still in dosdevices. I tried to unlink all the symlinks, but they reappeared immediately when I run wine next time. I don't know what to do, except now I am compiling wine-staging-3.7 so I'll post update when it finishes. Any ideas what to try? I would make WINEDEBUG=all log, but I don't want to delete all the folders again, it is pain in the backside.
dimesio

Re: vcredist2008 produces empty directories all over the dis

Post by dimesio »

You might want to scan your system for malware.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: vcredist2008 produces empty directories all over the dis

Post by Bob Wya »

tslnox

Sounds nothing like winetricks... Since this script just uses:

Code: Select all

W_TMP="$W_DRIVE_C/windows/temp/..."
and

Code: Select all

"${HOME}/.cache/winetricks"
to store stuff in.

You might want to grep the registry files, in all your Wineprefix's, for dubious autorun keys...
See: Windows Automatic Startup Locations.

Bob