64-bit or 32-bit?

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe

64-bit or 32-bit?

Post by fargodwe »

I have a really dumb question, but I just plain don't know the answer.

I've tried to compile wine from the source because of a specific patch I'm testing. I am running Linux Mint 64bit. I downloaded the source from WineHQ download. When I try to do configure it comes up with a lot of 32-bit libraries that are missing. I do want to have both 64-bit and 32-bit support. I need to run this specific test version from it's own directory which I know how to do. My "nomal" wine is the ubuntu pre-made binary from WineHQ download, and it allows me to create a 32-bit prefix but by default creates 64-bit prefixes.

How do I get around those messages in configure and build a wine executable just like the prebuilt binaries (but I patch one piece as per a bug report I filed)?

Thank you for taking your time with a dumb guy.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 64-bit or 32-bit?

Post by spoon0042 »

afaik building 64/32 bit wine is still a pain on Debian/Ubuntu distros and the simplest thing would be to just build 32 bit wine if you don't really need 64 bit for what you're testing. In that case you're going to need all those 32 bit dependencies. If you do need 64 bit as well you'll still need those, but possibly in a container or chroot according to the guide on the wiki. Or get crazy and build it in some other distro in a vm maybe. :)

The wiki stuff about building wine is here if you haven't already looked at it:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine
https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu

There's also a script a forums user here put together, I have yet to try it though:
https://github.com/bobwya/build-multilib-wine
and a post of his with some more info: viewtopic.php?p=109693#p109693
It seems with this script you can drop your patch somewhere and have it built in, but again I haven't really looked into how. Good luck. :)
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Not knowing what shape my Mint install was in now, I completely reinstalled Mint. Before I do anything more I'm going to try building wine again.

Thank you for the links!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote:Not knowing what shape my Mint install was in now, I completely reinstalled Mint. Before I do anything more I'm going to try building wine again.

Thank you for the links!
Just to note, since it was brought up...

My multi-lib Wine build script for Debian / Ubuntu uses the lsb_release command to determine what release version of Debian, or Ubuntu, to target.
So if you are planning to use the script on Linux Mint I'd need to add in an LSB_CODENAME variable override configuration option.
Since the Linux Mint team have the highly dubious practice of directly stealing the Canonical (Ubuntu) binary package mirror bandwidth and yet also choosing to use a conflicting Release Codename... :roll:

For the build script does all the building, both 32-bit and 64-bit, in Chroot environments... So the host system will be immune (hopefully!) to any packaging conflicts or other issues that might arise!

Just let me know and I'll add the LSB_CODENAME configuration option in (which is needed anyway)...

Thanks
Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Thanks Bob - I would like that!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

fargodwe wrote:Thanks Bob - I would like that!
I've update the build script to mangle all the stupid Linux Mint-specific release code names...
I've tested it in a VM, with Linux Mint 18.3.
Till I ran out memory for the VM (due to the Live DVD overlay filesystem filing up) - everything was going swimmingly... 8)

I'd suggest by starting by generating a root password (if you haven't one set):

Code: Select all

sudo su
# then ...
passwd
This is not the same as a sudo'd user account!
I tried to get the script to elevate privileges, as required, using sudo - but it ended up being too much of a headache! :?

I'd also suggest getting familiar with the commands and options:

build_multilib_wine.sh help
and generating a global configuration file to edit / play about with:

build_multilib_wine.sh generate-conf
All that's covered in the README file...

NB you'll need to use the full path to the script - if you don't move the script to a directory covered by your PATH env variable.

Let me know, if you have any issues (here or on Github).

Often build problems arise simply from out-of-sync Canonical mirrors.
So it's worth trying to run the script again (if a package fails to install with hash failure).

Bob