WINE not finding (virtual) CD-ROM

Questions about Wine on Linux
Biggvs_Richardvs
Level 1
Level 1

WINE not finding (virtual) CD-ROM

Post by Biggvs_Richardvs »

Hi guys,

New here and would like to contribute. Love WINE and have been using it since I think the 90's.

Anyway I have a very annoying problem on Fedora 27. I've also seen it on Fedora 25.

I have an old copy of Rosetta stone and want to run it under WINE. The install goes fine, but then it comes time to install the language pack(s) and it wants to see a CD-ROM for those. So I have the iso mounted and set up under devices as a CD-ROM, but no matter what I do, the program simply does not recognize it.

It DOES recognize it under Fedora 23 (possibly 22 - I'd have to look on that laptop).

I have tried mounting it with both iso image mounter that comes installed by default, I have tried mounting it as loopback manually from the command line, and I have tried copying the contents to a directory and setting that up as a CD-ROM in the wine devices. None of these have worked.

Any idea why an application would suddenly no longer be able to recognize a CD-ROM device/data? I have it running on another laptop with an older version of Fedora and it installed and found the (virtual) CD-ROM just fine.

Many thanks,
Rich
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: WINE not finding (virtual) CD-ROM

Post by DarkShadow44 »

When it does not work, do the files exists under ".wine/dosdevices/d::"? Because if so, it should find them.

Also, do you use the same wine version on both test systems? If not, can you try using the wine version from the system it works on?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

DarkShadow44 wrote:When it does not work, do the files exists under ".wine/dosdevices/d::"? Because if so, it should find them.
For a mounted ISO file, you may need to manually create this (or the corresponding drive letter) as a link to the file.
Biggvs_Richardvs
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply DarkShadow,

I manually made a link to the iso file under ".wine/dosdevices/d::" and it didn't seem to help.

I also had a similar ".wine/dosdevices/f::" or something and set it to type "CD-ROM" in the WINE config, and that didn't help either. I think I remember on the system where I got it working, I had to fire up the dedicated wine desktop/gui, where it would let me browse to the iso image under WINE and tell it to attach it as a CD,. and then it worked. Or something similar - it's been a while.

Any idea why that would work but using the config manager and/or manually setting the dosdevices link woud not?

Many thanks,
Rich
Biggvs_Richardvs
Level 1
Level 1

madewokherd wrote:
DarkShadow44 wrote:When it does not work, do the files exists under ".wine/dosdevices/d::"? Because if so, it should find them.
For a mounted ISO file, you may need to manually create this (or the corresponding drive letter) as a link to the file.
Tried that, still no love. At this point, unless anyone has a "quick fix" I haven't tried, some help turing on verbose debugging so I can figure out exactly what it is trying to do when it is looking for the CD would be really helpful.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Just post ordinary console output to start. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

One thing to check is whether you have all the same libraries installed on the non-working and working systems, especially the 32 bit ones. You could simply be missing a dependency.

Have you tried using a real CD?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Biggvs_Richardvs,

When you mount an iso image file via Udisks (version 2) then Wine is notified of this via dbus.
Any modern Linux DE should support this.

Note: Wine will not automagically mount iso images for you - as has been implied on this forum thread! :roll:
You have to do this manually, via loopback, or using some Linux GUI tool to do something similar.

To check up / update your current mount points you can run the winecfg utility:

Code: Select all

winecfg # alias shortform
# or
wine winecfg.exe
and go to the Drives tab.

To force Wine to recognise a mount point you can create the link manually:

cd "${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/dosdevices"
ln -s <mount point> '<drive letter>:'
Where:
  • <mount point> is the full path of your iso image mount point
  • <drive letter> is a free (lower case) drive letter a-z
    (note that this should be followed by a single : colon)
or manually add the virtual CD drive and mount point - using winecfg.

Bob
Biggvs_Richardvs
Level 1
Level 1

Bob et al,

I have softlinks pointing to both the iso image itself and a path with the contents of the iso extracted - neither is working.

Here's a dump of terminal output running the program. I notice oddly that when I click the button to add a language and it it supposed to access the CD, there is no addition output, as if it had already decided that there was no CD. I noticed no startup there were a number of ioctl errors too:

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} could be created for context 0x17
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f5d4,0x00000000), stub!
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x790ff7e0, 0x1ae678, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x790ff7e0
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000030
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 74080 (device=7 access=1 func=20 method=0)
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 4100c (device=4 access=0 func=403 method=0)
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x790ff7e0, 0x1ad368, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x790ff7e0
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 41018 (device=4 access=0 func=406 method=0)
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 2d0c10 (device=2d access=0 func=304 method=0)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Biggvs_Richardvs wrote:...
I have softlinks pointing to both the iso image itself and a path with the contents of the iso extracted - neither is working.
Neither of which I recommended... :roll:
Just mount the iso image - then Udisks will pick it up automatically:

sudo mount -o loop <path to iso image> <mount path>
Wine will then see it as a virtual CD drive.

Also please use the forum Code:

Code
tags - if you're going to post terminal output or commands inline.

Ta
Bob
Biggvs_Richardvs
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Bob,

I tried your suggestion - no dice. I mounted the image with the -o loopback using sudo and winecfg auto detected it as a CDROM drive. Still no love from Rosetta Stone when I tried to add a language pack (that's what's on the CD).

Looks like I got the same output as above. Ioctl errors, etc.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
Rich
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
I don't know if it's the cause of this problem, but you need to fix that.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Biggvs_Richardvs

I'd suggest filing a bug on WineHQ Bugzilla ...
Attaching a terminal debug log with:

export WINEDEBUG=+mountmgr
before running Rosetta Stone - would probably be helpful.

A lot of the harddisk_ioctl fixme's aren't necessarily errors - they are just unsupported calls under Wine.
A lot of this will probably just be noise... E.g. querying a disk drive for the S.M.A.R.T. control version:

fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 74080 (device=7 access=1 func=20 method=0)
- shouldn't be needed to access a CD...

Edit:
Ah found the issue it's a SecurRom 5.x issue and 64-bit Wine.
See: WineHQ Bugzilla: Bug 21448 - Multiple applications and games need 'IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY' support (SecuROM 5.x media validation, USB drive detection)(RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Deus Ex Invisible War) ...
So need to file a duplicate bug report. :cry:

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: So need to file a duplicate bug report. :cry:
Um, no, please don't; with an existing bug, you just have to add a comment that the issue also affects your app.

However, I'm not entirely convinced that bug is the issue here, because the OP reports that it works in Fedora 23, bug 21448 has been around since 2010, and that bug is about not recognizing an original CD, not an ISO.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:
Bob Wya wrote: So need to file a duplicate bug report. :cry:
Um, no, please don't; with an existing bug, you just have to add a comment that the issue also affects your app.

However, I'm not entirely convinced that bug is the issue here, because the OP reports that it works in Fedora 23, bug 21448 has been around since 2010, and that bug is about not recognizing an original CD, not an ISO.
Oops... Typo alert... That was meant to be "So you don't need to file a duplicate bug report"... :lol:

It is the already installed game that initiates the SecureROM check.
This will be the case irrespective of what media it is checking...
Which in this case - may not be 100% legitimate (for all I know).

Also the problem appears to occur in an intermittent fashion (from that bug report) - with some clunky workarounds...
So it's quite possible that a change from Fedora 23 to 25 would re-introduce conditions to reproduce the bug...
Certainly all the terminal output matches the bug report, e.g.:

fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)
Bob
Biggvs_Richardvs
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks so much guys - and I'm happy to do anything I can to help. If installing a different version of wine would help, I'm game, or whatever. I could even do a complete OS teardown and reinstall if a different OS might help solve the bug.

Does anyone think it would be solved if I just installed the 32 bit version? I seem to recall trying that and it didn't help, but I'm willing to give it another go.

Thanks so much,
Rich
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Biggvs_Richardvs wrote:...
Does anyone think it would be solved if I just installed the 32 bit version? I seem to recall trying that and it didn't help, but I'm willing to give it another go.
That won't make any difference - to quote from the bug report (which I'm sure you read through!!) ...
When testing lilo2,3,4 on wine-1.8/wine-devel 1.7.29 on a native x86 (32 bit) platform, everything was mostly working fine.
It appears that your GNU/Linux OS needs to be pure 32-bit OS non-multiarch...
But of course the comment is just from some random Internet personage (also they are talking specifically about Debian)...

Bob
dagunnyeyes

Post by dagunnyeyes »

There is a way around this. Install Rosetta Stone on a Windows system with the languages. Install Rosetta Stone on Wine. Copy from windows c:\program data\rosetta stone\ to your .wine\path to program data\rosetta stone. Start Rosetta Stone under wine and it works fine and all languages appear. I tested under Fedora 32 and it works like a champ. While it doesn't answer how to have Rosetta Stone recognize CDs, it will get you up and running and I assume that is what you want.