The program JustCause3.exe has encountered a serious problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

The program JustCause3.exe has encountered a serious problem

Post by twaee »

I have installed the game Just Cause 3 but it won't seem to run. I run the launcher and it gives the program has encountered a serious problem error. I have searched for two days for a solution on the web but have found none yet.

I have installed the vcredist and couldn't figure out how to install the directx (something said Wine came with it). I have tried taking out the intro as that worked in another game. Nothing else I found seemed connected and/or didn't work.

Please help.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: The program JustCause3.exe has encountered a serious pro

Post by twaee »

Hello, Ubuntu forums told me to go here, please help me or redirect me.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You haven't given us enough information to even begin to figure out what the problem is. Please read https://wiki.winehq.org/Forum_Posting_Guidelines for what you need to include in your post.

There is no AppDB entry for Just Cause 3, but the latest test report for Just Cause 2 indicates that it only works on Nvidia cards with the proprietary driver, and even that required some tweaking. The new version may have even higher graphics requirements.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

Thankyou for answering. I have an Intel driver in a ubuntu laptop. Athough my driver is advanced with 8GB of RAM. It has run many hd games so i dont think that is a problem. (Skyrim, Warthunder). I am pretty sure I have the latest wine version as I updated it a couple days ago.

Plus The game doesnt show any notice of launching. I click the launcher, it turns to the blue screen, then the notice pops up and quits out of the emulated desktop.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

twaee wrote:I am pretty sure I have the latest wine version as I updated it a couple days ago.
Was that update to the WineHQ packages? If not, there's a good chance it's not the latest version, as distro packages are often out of date. To check, please open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

wine --version
If it's not 2.4 or 2.4-staging, you don't have the latest version and need to upgrade. Follow the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu.
Plus The game doesnt show any notice of launching. I click the launcher, it turns to the blue screen, then the notice pops up and quits out of the emulated desktop.
Post terminal output. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

Okay, I checked and my wine was at version 1.8 so that might have had something to do with it. The only problem now is that I can't find my wine c drive. I can't find any file ".wine" in my home folder.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I just had to run a wine program for it to appear again. I will find out if updating wine was it when my game finishes installing.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

When I updated wine, I cant even install the game. It stops some way through and says something about missing things. I have drief downloading dlls which worked before but i dont know what to download.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

For further information, the error says that my source files are corrupted. I have attempted to look through the web for a solution but couldn't find one. I have tried installing windows dlls via wine. I also checked my hard drive space and found it spacious. I think this has something to do with the fact that I restarted wine because this problem was not here before.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Please run wine (and the game's installer) in a terminal, post the output here, use the

tags.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

I can't seem to run it in code as it is in an ISO package which is Read-only. I have no idea how to make it read and write because it won't let me use chmod. I have searched online but couldn't find a solution because they deal with hard drives and I can't find the ISO.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

How did you install or run it in the first? What do you mean by "ISO package"? Isn't that just a big file? How did you get it mounted in linux? Double-Clicking on the ISO file in KDE/Gnome? If so, you could find out, which tool your linux is using to mount ISOs (there are a few), so you could use it in terminal. Or, much simpler, you'd just doubleclick on it in your file manager and find out, where it mounts the ISO file, then open a terminal and "cd" into that folder. Usually ISOs will be mounted somewhere in /mnt or /media, this may depend on your linux distribution, if you absolutely can't find the location, you should ask in a linux distribution specific forum.

I can't seem to run it in code as it is in an ISO package which is Read-only.
Just to avoid possible misunderstandings, With

I meant posting the output here in [code] tags (similar to html), but you probably got it right and meant "code" as synonym for running in terminal.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

fixme:file:SetDefaultDllDirectories (800): stub
fixme:file:SetSearchPathMode (8001): stub
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:file:SetDefaultDllDirectories (800): stub
fixme:file:SetSearchPathMode (8001): stub
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x10084): stub
fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x10084, L"Installing"): stub
fixme:rstrtmgr:RmStartSession 0x49e3fc, 0, 0x49e400 stub!
fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x10084, L"Installing Just Cause 3."): stub
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x10096 c046 1 (nil)
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x100a0 c046 1 (nil)
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x200a0 c046 1 (nil)
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
fixme:explorerframe:taskbar_list_SetProgressValue iface 0x162e18, hwnd 0x10084, ullCompleted 0, ullTotal 3c5 stub!
fixme:sfc:SfcIsFileProtected ((nil), L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Just Cause 3\\unins000.exe") stub
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x100f6 c046 1 (nil)
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
fixme:shell:BrsFolder_OnCreate flags BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE partially implemented
fixme:progress:ProgressWindowProc state 0002 not yet handled
fixme:explorerframe:taskbar_list_SetProgressState iface 0x162e18, hwnd 0x10084, flags 4 stub!
I finally figured out how to run it with terminal output.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Is that the complete output? If so, file a bug report. Apart from that there's probably not much we can do for you at the moment. Your output doesn't show anything DX related, so there might be another issue, too. Just Cause 3 seems to require DX11 and wine's DX11 support is still very incomplete, so I wouldn't expect too much in the near future.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

Well I know for a fact that the installation works because it worked before I updated my Wine. Except the game didn't work. And before I updated wine, I had installed a bunch of windows dlls and I forgot which ones i had installed before I updated, so I think it has something to do with installing the correct ones.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Updating wine wouldn't change the dlls that you installed via winetricks, it just might trigger other issues. If you didn't delete your wineprefix (.wine folder) they still should be there. Wine updates its builtin dlls, but should leave native (Windows) dlls as they are.

The fixmes in your output don't tell me anything, so I still think, you should file a bug report.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

Sorry for the delay, but I have finally installed Just Cause 3 again. I had gone through some other errors and finally decided to get a new hard drive. But the game is installed and when I go to run it, to shows a black screen for a second then quits out of wine again. This time there were no errors, just a black screen.
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

I also tried taking it out of the Virtual Box thing and this time no black screen. The box of the window just popped up and disappeared in a flash. I have tried Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows XP modes (XP is too old for the game, doesn't work).
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

twaee wrote:I also tried taking it out of the Virtual Box thing and this time no black screen. The box of the window just popped up and disappeared in a flash. I have tried Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows XP modes (XP is too old for the game, doesn't work).
There's very little point trying out DirectX/OpenGL-based games in Virtual Box - without GPU-passthrough (or similar)...
That's just a waste of time - it's gotta be bare metal or go home!

I've recently tested out Just Cause 2 - and that barely works under the latest Wine versions (very low FPS, lots of graphical glitches, etc.)
Tested with a Nvidia GTX 970M and a recent Nvidia driver version (so decent hardware - with good Linux support).
Yet you've apparently moved onto testing a game (the sequel) with even more demanding graphical requirements!

tl;dr you are going to get a less than mediocre gaming experience playing Just Cause 2/3, for the foreseeable future, using Wine!
Just Cause 3 hasn't even got an entry in the WineHQ AppDB yet...

You'd put your time to more productive use - by working out to use Wine more effectively...
Start by reading the WineHQ FAQ ... 8)

Bob
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

Okay, I will take that into account and I am looking into other games. Although there might still be chance for this game to work. Also, even though it might be really laggy, it would be good to know if Linux has a chance. Even if this is for nothing, other people might find this useful. And on that note, here is what log.txt says. Also I meant virtual desktop, sorry I had forgotten the name of the things. It is not virtual box, if that is something else.

fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.8 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x910000 0 0x22fd20 4 stub
fixme:d3d:wined3d_dxtn_init Wine cannot find the txc_dxtn library, DXTn software support unavailable.
fixme:debug_buffer:RtlCreateQueryDebugBuffer (0, 0): stub
fixme:debug_buffer:RtlCreateQueryDebugBuffer (168, 0): returning 0x5bbb0
fixme:debug_buffer:RtlQueryProcessDebugInformation (54, 14, 0x5bbb0): stub
fixme:debug_buffer:RtlDestroyQueryDebugBuffer (0x5bbb0): stub
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread info class 7 not supported yet
fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessorEx (0x118, 0x22de90, 0x22de80): stub
fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessorEx (0x364, 0x7ff76d8ae460, 0x7ff76d8ae450): stub
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDisplayModeList iface 0x7ff75f810fa0, format DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM, flags 0, mode_count 0x22e088, desc (nil) partial stub!
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDisplayModeList iface 0x7ff75f810fa0, format DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM, flags 0, mode_count 0x22e088, desc 0x7ff76ea85120 partial stub!
fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x1) : stub
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_check_feature_level_support Ignoring adapter type.
fixme:winediag:dxgi_check_feature_level_support None of the requested D3D feature levels is supported on this GPU with the current shader backend.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@twaee,

FYI This came up on the wine_gaming subreddit...
See Wine 2.8 Staging | JUST CAUSE 3 INGAME! ...

So you will see how (currently) broken the in-game rendering will be.
But you never know - it might be playable this year??!! 8)

Bob
twaee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twaee »

Okay, thankyou for trying to help. I have given up on Just Cause 3 for now. I will be moving onto other games. I will come back to Just Cause 3 after summer.