Embed wine with AutoCAD for Ubuntu

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
pouvouv
Level 1
Level 1

Embed wine with AutoCAD for Ubuntu

Post by pouvouv »

Hi,
We currently setting up a network using ubuntu and we wanted to apply program install restriction on it. However, we got a computer that run AutoCAD and thus we install wine, thus the user can bypass the software install restriction by installing exe files.

In mac OS X there is a program called wine bottler that can embed wine to the exe progrum, thus eliminating the need to install wine on the target computer.

My question is:
Would anyone know whether there is a program similar to winebottler for Ubuntu or if you know how to do this by yourself?

Thank you for your time and input.

Cheers,
erick
vitamin

Re: Embed wine with AutoCAD for Ubuntu

Post by vitamin »

pouvouv wrote:we wanted to apply program install restriction on it.
No such thing on *NIX. I can install any program into my home directory. And unless you make my home directory 1MB big, you won't prevent me from doing such installs.[/quote]
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

WineBottler, and Wineskin do not actually embed Wine into a .exe or anything of the sort. Mac OS X has special way it handles programs in a ".app" known as an Application Bundle. It is actually just a folder set up the right way so the OS treats it like a program instead of a folder. It looks like a file or single program, and you double click it to run it, but its really just a folder with certain things in the right places inside...

You could probably do something similar on Linux, but it would be a folder.. with a start up script you double click.. that sets things right and has Wine and all needed stuff in a subfolder inside.
pouvouv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pouvouv »

Thank you all for the reply.

Cheers,
erick.
DanKegel

Re: Embed wine with AutoCAD for Ubuntu

Post by DanKegel »

pouvouv wrote:In mac OS X there is a program called wine bottler that can embed wine to the exe progrum, thus eliminating the need to install wine on the target computer.

My question is:
Would anyone know whether there is a program similar to winebottler for Ubuntu or if you know how to do this by yourself?
It's possible. We did this at Google by hand for Picasa.
And Codeweavers Crossover has the abililty to generate .rpm's
and .deb's containing Crossover bundled with an app.
But nobody's made a tool to automate this for plain wine that I know of,
probably because installing Wine is easy on Linux.