Star Wars Empire at War opens blank text box instead of game

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Alarbios
Level 1
Level 1

Star Wars Empire at War opens blank text box instead of game

Post by Alarbios »

After installation of Star Wars Empire at War and it's Expansion with the latest version of Wine, the game will not start up. I click on the icon and a blank text box shows up instead of the start of the game.

I have the latest versions of Wine, Ubuntu and I just got winetricks.
I have tried changing the Library with all of the items there.
I have tried adding the .exe to Applications, LaunchEAW.exe
I have tried installing d3dx9 through winetricks.

I thank you all in advance for helping me out! I am new to all of this and know almost nothing about how all of this works, and I am in awe of the people that do.
mogorva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mogorva »

Try to start the game directly by the executable: sweaw.exe or swfoc.exe
If that still doesn't help launch the game from a terminal and post the output here (or use pastebin if the log is too long).
The game starts fine here using only native d3dx9_36.dll.
Alarbios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alarbios »

env WINEPREFIX="/home/platypus/.winem wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/platypus/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start\ Menu/Programs/LucasArts/Star\ Wars\ Empire\ at\ War/Play.lnk

this was the command to start it ( i think) and it said the following in response

no such file or directory

and I did try to use the .exe file and the same thing happened...
mogorva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mogorva »

Cd to the directory where the game resides and launch it by:
WINEPREFIX=/home/platypus/.winem wine sweaw.exe

I have the Steam version but it doesn't contain the launcher. My second guess for the blank launcher screen that you need to install ie6 via winetricks, But without the log I can't say much for sure.
Alarbios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alarbios »

Thanks for the help, somebody else said ie6 by winetricks, what is it and where can I find it? I keep on getting references to internet explorer 6 when I look for it...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Alarbios wrote:Thanks for the help, somebody else said ie6 by winetricks, what is it and where can I find it? I keep on getting references to internet explorer 6 when I look for it...
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
Alarbios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alarbios »

Thank you for the link, I installed it but the problem persists! I am going to fiddle with the settings some more and see what happens unless anybody has a better/more productive idea lol
Alarbios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alarbios »

anybody else have any ideas on what I could do?
Alarbios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alarbios »

Anybody?
snejjj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by snejjj »

try bypassing the loader and directly start the games .exe. dunno what it's called right now, but it's some abbreviation of the game-name. it should be somewhere in the folder you installed the game in (or some sub-folder)