running a magnifier through wine on ubuntu

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kitCat012

running a magnifier through wine on ubuntu

Post by kitCat012 »

I'm trying to run Magnifying Glass from the Workers Collection on ubuntu through wine, and it works pretty well. Unfortunately, it is running so that it is always the active window which makes it impossible to type anything while the program is running. Is there a way to change this so that instead of being the active window it is simply, "always on top"?
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

Just wondering; is there a reason you're not using a Linux native application to take care of screen magnification?
kitCat012

Post by kitCat012 »

There is only one linux magnifier that we could find that we liked, the magnifier in Compiz. Unfortunately the machine we want to run it on also uses xinerama in a huge way and the two refuse to get along. We tried installing an old version of XGL to get them to work together because I had read that it helps but we kept running into more and more packages that were no longer in the ubuntu libraries that were needed so we gave up on that route. We've since tried to get this one to work simply because it is the only other one we've found that really does what we want, or hopefully will once we get this problem fixed.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

Alright, this is probably a bug if it keeps asking for focus. What terminal output do you get?

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
kitCat012

Post by kitCat012 »

Thanks, but actually it looks like its more a bug with the way wine works xfce. It works when I run it in gnome as do all of the other programs we want to run so we're just going to go with that for now.