Spore fails to run on new Wine versions, plus fglrx issues

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

Hi,

While running Spore (steam version) on 1.1.42 with a GeForce 8600GT on Arch Linux x86-64, everything worked fine except for occasional DxDllReg.exe crashes.

I have since replaced the card with an ATi Radeon HD4800 and the user interface now unbearably flickers, garbles (inflated bits of text and other UI elements appearing randomly) and generally looks far from correct (to the point where I can't see the graphics options to try changing things).

The console output is full of GLSL fun:

Code: Select all

fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #1:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log     Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.
I had heard previously about wine not supporting fglrx well, but assumed that most of the problems had been fixed/disappeared. I can't afford to upgrade to a new nVidia card, so was trying the ATi one to see if I could get increased framerate in Spore (go figure).

In addition, on both cards, trying to run Spore on versions 1.1.44 and 1.2-rc1 (haven't tested 1.2-rc2, Arch doesn't support Wine so package updates are incredibly slow) causes Spore to not run at all, with

err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c000001d flags 0 addr 0x7ee302a0
appearing when I try to run it from Steam. (Trying to run from outside Steam does not work).
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

NihilistMatt wrote:
Hi,

While running Spore (steam version) on 1.1.42 with a GeForce 8600GT on Arch Linux x86-64, everything worked fine except for occasional DxDllReg.exe crashes.

I have since replaced the card with an ATi Radeon HD4800 and the user interface now unbearably flickers, garbles (inflated bits of text and other UI elements appearing randomly) and generally looks far from correct (to the point where I can't see the graphics options to try changing things).

Code:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.

I had heard previously about wine not supporting fglrx well, but assumed that most of the problems had been fixed/disappeared. I can't afford to upgrade to a new nVidia card, so was trying the ATi one to see if I could get increased framerate in Spore (go figure).

In addition, on both cards, trying to run Spore on versions 1.1.44 and 1.2-rc1 (haven't tested 1.2-rc2, Arch doesn't support Wine so package updates are incredibly slow) causes Spore to not run at all, with

Code:
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c000001d flags 0 addr 0x7ee302a0

File a regression bug report. This should not happen.

Also, AMD/ATI drivers are of two flavors. Did you try the open source
or their drivers?

James McKenzie
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

NihilistMatt wrote:
Hi,

Code:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.

Code:

File a regression bug report. This should not happen.

Also, AMD/ATI drivers are of two flavors. Did you try the open source
or their drivers?

James McKenzie
Rico

Re: Spore fails to run on new Wine versions, plus fglrx issu

Post by Rico »

NihilistMatt wrote: The console output is full of GLSL fun:

fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log     Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.
I guess something like that shouldn't show up as a fixme. There could be a space or so at the end, so that the spamfilter for fglrx spam isn't working. Could you redirect the output to a file and upload it somewhere?

Also what's your fglrx version?
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

Catalyst version is 10.5, driver packaging version 8.723.1.

Log of typical session, from using the command

~/.PlayOnLinux/WineVersions/1.1.42/usr/bin/wine /home/matt/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe &> out.txt
and then opening Spore from the Steam Library.

(I know I shouldn't be using 1.1.42 with my 1.2-rc1 prefix, but oh well)

Here's a rundown of what happened:
  1. Opened Steam.
  2. dxdllreg.exe crashed - trying to remove the registry key for this is futile as Steam adds it again.
  3. Opened Spore from the game library.
  4. Steam tries (and fails, if the log is anything to go by) to install DirectX 9, even though DirectX 9 is installed and working.
  5. After the install script is executed, Spore runs. There is a bit of corruption for a split-second before the logos appear.
  6. When on the galaxy screen, the graphics start stuttering.
  7. At this point, I closed Spore. Even a short time on the galaxy screen produced quite a number of GLSL errors.
  8. Closed Wine.
I then downloaded a new 1.2-rc2 package for Wine and tried that. The resultant output is here., and Spore never even runs (having silently crashed).
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

Also, I got the card revision wrong - it's a HD4600, which probably makes no difference anyway.

I would have tried the open-source radeon drivers, but given that even a Linux-native copy of GZDoom was choking terribly on them, I didn't rate my chances with Spore. (In fact, Spore wouldn't run at all, but I later found out that I was still using nVidia's 32-bit libraries for some reason).
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

NihilistMatt wrote:
Catalyst version is 10.5, driver packaging version 8.723.1.

Log of typical session (http://pastebin.org/308923), from using the command

Code:
~/.PlayOnLinux/WineVersions/1.1.42/usr/bin/wine /home/matt/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe &> out.txt

You'll have to ask PlayOnLinux for help at this point. We support ONLY
native Wine here.

Vitamin:

Close this thread, please.

James McKenzie
3vi1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3vi1 »

NihilistMatt wrote:Hi,

...I have since replaced the card with an ATi Radeon HD4800 and the user interface now unbearably flickers, garbles (inflated bits of text and other UI elements appearing randomly) and generally looks far from correct (to the point where I can't see the graphics options to try changing things).
I'm afraid that at least half (if not all) of your problems are bugs in the 10.5 fglrx drivers, and won't be fixed until ATI corrects their issues.

I tried 10.5 with an HD5870 last week and saw those flickers and garbles even in some native Linux apps (Like when you launch Boxee - it's pretty bad). The wine games that did work would lock up after an hour or so - as if 10.5 isn't cranking the cards fan to the proper levels. :( So, I'm back on the nVidia train for now.
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

James McKenzie wrote:You'll have to ask PlayOnLinux for help at this point. We support ONLY
native Wine here.

Vitamin:

James McKenzie
Well, I'm only using the PoL copy of Wine (and that's the only part of PoL I'm using - Spore is installed in my normal Wine prefix, etc) because it's the only version of Wine on my system at the moment that actually runs Spore. (If anyone could find me a prepackaged Arch package for Wine 1.1.42, then I'd happily test under that)

I'd file a regression test but compiling Wine on x86-64 Arch Linux looks quite involved.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

NihilistMatt wrote:
James McKenzie wrote:
You'll have to ask PlayOnLinux for help at this point. We support ONLY
native Wine here.

Vitamin:

James McKenzie
Well, I'm only using the PoL copy of Wine (and that's the only part of PoL I'm using - Spore is installed in my normal Wine prefix, etc) because it's the only version of Wine on my system at the moment that actually runs Spore. (If anyone could find me a prepackaged Arch package for Wine 1.1.42, then I'd happily test under that)

Google for it. There should be a repository that has Wine for Arch
Linux (it may be 32 bit and actually should be unless 64 bit Wine has
been fixed.)
I'd file a regression test but compiling Wine on x86-64 Arch Linux looks quite involved.

It only requires that you get and install the Required Dependencies and
retrieving Wine source through git. However, it does take time, which
for some of us is very valuable.

James McKenzie
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

Arch's GCC didn't support multilib, and the given workaround was to create a full chroot, which to compile one program seemed a bit overblown for me.

However, I have now switched back to Ubuntu, and will hopefully be trying Spore in Wine here.
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Spore - runs on Ubuntu but cannot connect to Internet

Post by NihilistMatt »

OK, I've tested Spore (Steam version) on Ubuntu 10.04 in Wine 1.2-rc2 with its version of fglrx (probably older than the one I was using on wine) and things look promising (haven't gone further than the menu, but there's no flicker on that) -- except its attempt to connect to the Internet fails.

Console output doesn't seem to be putting anything out regarding this failure, and Steam is perfectly able to connect to the Internet. As far as I know, the only real difference from my Arch setup is that I'm now using DHCP (and network-manager) instead of a static IP.
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

Checked with PoL Wine 1.1.42, issue is still there. I'm going to assume that this is something to do with Ubuntu and not Wine (but what?)

(Should I move to a separate topic at this point?)
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

Sorry to necro, but I've switched to Gentoo and the same (or a similar) thing happens on wine 1.2, upon trying to launch from Steam:

err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr (nil)

Also not sure what to attach as far as log files etc. as I know this line alone is pretty much worthless for anyone trying to help.

I might try filing a regression later.
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

While trying to start a regression test I noticed that with the current wine git and a clean prefix Spore seems to load happily. (With my install of wine 1.2 on said clean prefix, however, Steam silently crashes.)

I'm going to just put this down to a messed-up prefix >_>;;
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

...and now it's back to not working again on that prefix.
NihilistMatt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NihilistMatt »

After trying to regression test, it looks like no locally compiled version of Wine seems to be able to run Spore - only the old PlayOnLinux binary (and the Ubuntu builds) appears to work.

I have no idea what could cause one Wine compile to work and all the others to fail inexplicably.