uninstalling programs under Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
droid

Post by droid »

I have several programs installed under Wine, but one of them doesn't work. How can I uninstall it? I searched this forum, but haven't found a match.
Charles Davis

Post by Charles Davis »

droid wrote:
I have several programs installed under Wine, but one of them doesn't work. How can I uninstall it? I searched this forum, but haven't found a match.
Same way as on Windows--by running the uninstaller (if it has one). And
just like on Windows, there's several ways to run it:

- If the program created a shortcut to the uninstaller, you can run that.
- Otherwise, you can use Wine's "Add/Remove Programs" Control Panel
(it's similar to Windows' own "Add/Remove Programs"). Just run the Wine
Control Panel like so from the command line:

wine control

and open the "Add/Remove Programs" applet.

But be warned: some uninstallers don't work fully yet in Wine. You may
have to remove stuff manually.

Chip
droid

Re: uninstalling programs under Wine

Post by droid »

Charles Davis wrote: Same way as on Windows--by running the uninstaller (if it has one).

- Otherwise, you can use Wine's "Add/Remove Programs" Control Panel
(it's similar to Windows' own "Add/Remove Programs"). Just run the Wine
Control Panel like so from the command line:

wine control

and open the "Add/Remove Programs" applet.

But be warned: some uninstallers don't work fully yet in Wine. You may
have to remove stuff manually.

Chip
Thanks for the info, Chip. The program didn't have an uninstaller - that's why I asked. And I'd never heard of the Wine Control Panel even though I've been using Wine for several years. Wonder why the developers don't make it more prominent.

Anyway, it worked and I learned something. Thanks again!
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

It's probably not prominent because it currently has no priority - and there's only one tool in it right now anyway.

By the way, you can also run the wine uninstaller tool directly with this command:
wine uninstaller
droid

Post by droid »

Thanks DaVince! Is there a document somewhere that has all these details? They sure aren't covered in the man page.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

droid wrote:Thanks DaVince! Is there a document somewhere that has all these details? They sure aren't covered in the man page.
http://wiki.winehq.org/
westea49

Post by westea49 »

I installed two Windows programs using wine, CorelDraw 11 and Mathcad 11. Most of the programs on the Corel CD worked EXCEPT CorelDraw. I tried removing them and they do not show up in the Wine startup but they are still in the [uninstall wine software. That is not a problem for CorelDraw since I discovered LibreOffice Draw will open my CorelDraw files. But I wanted to reinstall Mathcad since I have not found a Linux program to read in my old Mathcad files (although I am looking at Smath??)

Anyway I seem to be stuck because when I try to reinstall Mathcad 11 with wine, the installer fails saying: "The wizard was interrupted before Mathcad 11 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.

NOTE: it appears the [Uninstall Wine softare] in the Wine startup menu should be called [Add/Remove Wine Software].

NOTE: While I am new to Linux as a systems person (retired, my IT people handled the administrative problems), I am using the LinuxMint Q.... release which I love. Unfortunately, there are a few windows programs I would like to use occasionally
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I'm not sure what you mean by "startup menu"; plain Wine doesn't have one. Some distros add menu links for Wine's builtin apps, but those are not part of plain Wine and not supported here. Third party wrappers such as PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine, which may have their own startup menus, are also not supported here.

Wine's uninstaller just runs the app's own uninstaller, and Windows uninstallers are notorious for leaving lots of garbage behind. It's not an issue for experienced users, because most of us install apps to separate wineprefixes and just delete the wineprefix if we want to get rid of something.

Regarding MathCAD, try a clean wineprefix. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix
turboscrew

Post by turboscrew »

A tip: Revo Uninstaller works fine with wine.