Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Shirtbogger
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine

Post by Shirtbogger »

Ubuntu 9.10 is telling me that there are broken packages that need fixed before it can install wine. I have used both the package installer and the command line installer, and both give me the same message.

I have only just started making the switch to Linux, so any help as can be provided, please assume I don't know the where or how of finding and doing. I am fairly keen on reading directions as you would give to a person driving in unfamiliar areas, so general "you should come across a bit of text" will make initial sense for getting me off the ground.

I thank you for you time and help.
Sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sven »

Try sudo apt-get -f install wine or sudo apt-get -f install wine1.2, depending on which one you want to install.

And please report this problem to Ubuntu too since there are many people with the same problem, but it seems like none of them has reported it to Ubuntu yet.
Shirtbogger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shirtbogger »

mark@mark-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine: Depends: libopenal1 but it is not installable
Recommends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
mark@mark-desktop:~$

There's what I'm getting - I'm not entirely certain what it means, but I'll be mentioning this in ubunto-land also.Translations and/or assistance will be welcomed!
Thanks!
-Mark
Shirtbogger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shirtbogger »

Found the problem. Ubuntu wants (universe) turned on, and I didn't find that in any of the instructions (I admit I am fallible and may have glossed over it).

To turn it on and get Wine to install properly, got System > Administration > Software Sources and activate the second option, which ends in (universe). Close and reload, then go add your ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa command located in the Other Software tab (or through synaptic. Whichever. I'm sure any mode will work at this point).

This closes my issue, and I hope helps someone else new to the software.