IrfanView-Ubuntu dialog box problems

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
mark bower
Level 1
Level 1

IrfanView-Ubuntu dialog box problems

Post by mark bower »

In XP, Irfanview presents up to 90 (18 rows, 5 cols) of files in the "Open" file dialog box. That is, up to 90 files are displayed at once for a selected directory using the "open folder icon". Using WINE with Ubuntu 9.04 and Irfanview 3.98 or 4.25, the open box will only display up to 12 files (6 rows by 2 cols). This is very inconvenient for a directory with hundreds of photos and trying to access one photo.

Also observed are the help screens which are truncated on the right hand side and will not fully expand.

Any suggestions on how to get the "Open" screen/dialog screens to behave in Ubuntu as they so in XP?
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

If you have to access only one photo, why not check it in your favourite file manager (that will display thumbnails and allows you to view them larger if you ctrl+scroll) and drag-and drop it into the application?
mark bower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark bower »

I believe what you suggested might be a method, thanks. But I really like going directly to the list of files in IrfanView, selecting the photo I want (and can see its thumb nail), then opening it up for what ever I am going to do with it. Also, based on my file naming system, I need to look at all the photos to obtain the next sequence number in a category for storing an additional photo, although admitedly, any file browser would do this just as well. I guess the bottom line is that I have used IrfanView for a number of years and feel very comfortable with the way it works in windows and for the relatively few operations (crop, resize, and simple color adjustments) I use.

mark
mark bower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark bower »

DaVince - o.k., I played around with Nautilus which I have not done before, and your idea appears to be "spot on". Your suggestion is actually [u]easier[/u] than what I have been used to doing. Now the directory window can be stretched to preference, and character size can be reduced to display a very large number of files to be seen at once (better than under IrfanView), then minimize/maximize the display of the directory to work in IrfanView. It really works great!

So thank you very much for bringing IrfanVifew to life (improving my user skills) for me under WINE.

mark
mark bower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark bower »

[quote="mark bower"]DaVince - o.k., I played around with Nautilus which I have not done before, and your idea appears to be "spot on". Your suggestion is actually [u]easier[/u] than what I have been used to doing. Now the directory window (via Nautilus) can be stretched to preference, and character size can be reduced to display a very large number of files to be seen at once (better than under IrfanView), then minimize/maximize the display of the directory to work in IrfanView. It really works great!

So thank you very much for bringing IrfanVifew to life (improving my user skills) for me under WINE.

mark[/quote]
mark bower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark bower »

]DaVince - o.k., I played around with Nautilus which I have not done before, and your idea appears to be "spot on". Your suggestion is actually [u]easier[/u] than what I have been used to doing. Now the directory window (via Nautilus) can be stretched to preference, and character size can be reduced to display a very large number of files to be seen at once (better than under IrfanView), then minimize/maximize the display of the directory to work in IrfanView. It really works great!

mark[/quote][/quote]
mark bower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark bower »

DaVince - o.k., I played around with Nautilus which I have not done before, and your idea appears to be "spot on". Your suggestion to use a file browser in place of the IrfanView brower is actually [u]easier[/u] than what I have been used to doing. Now the directory window (via Nautilus) can be stretched to preference, and character size can be reduced to display a very large number of files to be seen at once (better than under IrfanView), then minimize/maximize the display of the directory to work in IrfanView. It really works great!

mark
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

I think something might be wrong with your connection... :)

Glad to be of help, perhaps you could still provide terminal output for the original problem so it can be fixed in Wine at some point.