Rosetta Stone 2.2.0.0A Language CD dumps.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
polaris96

Post by polaris96 »

I'm completely new to Wine. This is my first effort at loading a Winapp, so please bear with me. I'm running Debian Squeeze AMD64 on a single core Athlon with 2G of motherboard RAM. I'm running Wine v 1.0.1, installed as a binary (deb) from Debian's testing(squeeze) repo with apt-get.

I looked at the available threads irt RS before I posted this. Nothing seems to fit my issue. Here it is.

I ran the installer with Wine. The installer said everything was ok (It also installed quicktime. Can't remember if windows did that it's been a few years). I changed CDs to the Language disc (Chinese I) and clicked on autorun.

Everything looked normal. A window opened and the RS screen had a a graphbutton saying,"start Rosetta Stone." I clicked it. The window closed and then nothing.

Top and ps confirm neither rosettastone, autorun, nor wineserver were still running.

One thing that may be relevant: I have a wine menu item in the GUI which shows directories for both quicktime and rosetta stone. However, neither folder contains an executable.

The RS folder tree is Menu>Wine>programs>Rosetta Stone>2.2.0.0A>user's guide. There is no program executable. Trying to open the user's guide doesn't do anything either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
polaris96

Post by polaris96 »

here is some terminal output from trying to start the program in CLI

Code: Select all

:~$ wine start 'D:\Autorun\autorun.exe'
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000500
:~$ fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
is 'fixme' an error code?
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

polaris96 wrote:
here is some terminal output from trying to start the program in CLI

Code:
:~$ wine start 'D:\Autorun\autorun.exe'
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000500
:~$ fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub

is 'fixme' an error code?

No, a fixme means that the code does not completely exist. However, can
you try this again with the latest development version, 1.1.34? 1.0.1
is missing a lot of functions added in the last year. It is called
stable because we won't touch it unless there is a major problem with
the functions in the code base for that version.

James McKenzie
polaris96

Post by polaris96 »

OK here's where I'm at. First, I loaded the Debian Sid version (1.1.32) off the debian mirror. That got me farther and I was able to install the Rosetta Stone software. However, I stil can't run it. When I start the software, the Cd begins to spin, after which a "script error: missing object" messagebox appears. Then, it dumps.

I follwoed your advice irt newer verison - added and pinned your repo and installed the wine repo squeeze package - v1.1.33. With THIS version, I have no wine-cfg available and the program still doesn't run. Is there a separate package for wine-cfg?

I prefer not to source compile if I can avoid it, but that will be necessary to get 1.1.34. Shall I do this?

Thanks for your help, so far :)