Question regarding expanding wine features with JoytoKey

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Xenphor

Question regarding expanding wine features with JoytoKey

Post by Xenphor »

Currently wine is able to run the windows program JoytoKey decently. One of the most important features of JoytoKey (emualtion of the mouse using a joystick), works within the Linux desktop, but not inside applications which take control of the mouse (mainly games). I was wondering if it would be possible for Wine to allow JoyToKey to control such applications using Joytokey's mouse emulation.

I know there are other Linux programs out there that offer keymapping and mouse emulation using joysticks but I believe that none of these come close to Joytokey. Expanding the functionality of Wine to allow JoytoKey (which already is compatible) to work within applications besides the desktop would be beneficial.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Xenphor expand the native solutions.

http://qjoypad.sourceforge.net/ The native solutions are quite decent. This almost 100 percent matches all features of JoytoKey and has features JoytoKey lacks. In fact qjoypad action control on axis well and truly exceeds what JoytoKey can do. I really don't believed you looked at the native applications Xenphor.

Linux input systems and Windows input systems are in fact major-ally different. Its not really possible to have a application inside wine control Linux applications unless they do speak the same way.

Linux applications can control ones inside wine. For the simple reason Wine has a wrapper.

Also be aware if application asks to talk to mouse wine takes that path as direct as able to native input system. This is why JoytoKey fails. Since running inside wine its not interfacing with the native systems.

Also Xenphor the issue of splitting will get worse as xi2 and other changes go through X11. Yes something native that is maintained will be required to cope with the up coming problems. Like applications that are classed as not active having keyboard and mouse feed disconnected. Wine really cannot report that all applications are active. This is a speed fixup and also a secuirty fixup. Ie non active application not being able to see mouse keyboard or feed instructs to mouse or keyboard does help secuirty.

Simple fact Linux is not Windows and keeping on using Windows applications when you should not only causes you pain.
Xenphor

Post by Xenphor »

Yes I realize that native applications would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately, none of them are as good as JoyToKey. Qjoypad is decent but has weaker mouse emulation and doesn't allow for button shifting or simultaneous button presses. It also can't assign temporary profile shifting to a single button.

I thought that since Joy2key already works well within Wine that its functionality could possibly be expanded to include the whole Linux desktop. I just wanted to know if that would be possible or not. I appreciate the response.
vitamin

Re: Question regarding expanding wine features with JoytoKey

Post by vitamin »

Xenphor wrote:One of the most important features of JoytoKey (emualtion of the mouse using a joystick), works within the Linux desktop, but not inside applications which take control of the mouse (mainly games). I was wondering if it would be possible for Wine to allow JoyToKey to control such applications using Joytokey's mouse emulation?
I'm afraid not. Those type of programs using DXGrab to exclusively grab mouse pointer. While pointer is grabbed, no other program can interact with it. So it's X's limitation. Wine can't do anything about it.