Editing windows registry with wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
janoliver

Editing windows registry with wine

Post by janoliver »

Hi there,

I need to change a key in the registry of a windows xp to be able to login again. So I booted the ubuntu live cd, installed wine and tried to execute the C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe

The first time I tried, some DLL's weren't found, which are located in C:\WINDOWS\system32. Setting the WINEDLLPATH didn't help, so I just copied the regedit.exe to the system32 folder and executed it with wine.

Unfortunately, the wine-regedit was executed, which only allows me to edit the wine registry located in ~/.wine I think.

How can I run the actual windows regedit.exe or edit the windows registry with the regedit tool bundled with wine?

Thanks for help!

Jan Oliver
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

You can't. Wine creates and works inside its own environment and the registry is stored in a different way.

You could export the Windows registry in Windows to a .reg file, edit that manually and then reimport, but you'd need to be able to boot into Windows to do that.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ << This is what you are looking for janoliver.

binary based registry files would make our debuging of wine issues harder so wine registry files are plain text.