Wizard101 / Gecko Issues

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Ace Blackwell
Level 2
Level 2

Wizard101 / Gecko Issues

Post by Ace Blackwell »

I'm using Slackware64 with 32 bit multilib per Alien Bob. On a HP dv2500 64bit AMD Turion x2. Graphics driver is NVIDIA 64 bit (with 32 compat). WINE package also from Alien Bob. 1.1.31 I think

Recently I upgraded to Slack64. I have installed WINE from several packages. My original from when I was using SlamD64. Then went to a "slack pack" from the net. I've installed the latest version via tarball. Finally from Alien Bob's Slack Pack. none of them cured my problem that I'm getting to. At first I had issues when installing the game Wizard 101 (don't laugh it's a fun game even for an old guy like me) During installation of the game when it got to the point it was going to access the net, it went to install gecko. After installing it locked up. So after searching the web I found a better way to install gecko. When I bring up wine from the prompt and access the winehq website (per the gecko install instruction with winetricks) , it doesn't ask me to install gecko. So I have to assume all is well. Also the WINE site comes up fine in the Windows Internet Explore window.

Finally to the point, now when I bring up the game the opening screen comes up but when it goes to access the net, while it doesn't ask me to install gecko, the scroll bar on the right hand side flashes in and out of existance a few times like it's trying to draw the screen then InstallWizard Error pops up saying it needs to close "Sorry"

My question, is this a common problem and has a solution I just haven't run across yet? If not does it sound like the issue is in the graphic aspect of WINE or more like a internet issue with WINE?

Sorry for the long explaination and Thanks in advance for any help

Ace
vitamin

Re: Wizard101 / Gecko Issues

Post by vitamin »

Ace Blackwell wrote:During installation of the game when it got to the point it was going to access the net, it went to install gecko.
That installer is broken. Use latest winetricks to install wine_gecko: Lhttp://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
Ace Blackwell
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks It Worked

Post by Ace Blackwell »

I reinstalled Gecko again with the Winetricks I DL'd from the link. It worked.

For those interested in the game, the Wizard Launcher still acts a little quirky if you are really slow about logging in. But if you log in and click "Play" with in a reasonable time after the log in is complete, the game will come up and it works great once in it.

Thanks again for the winetrick up date suggestion vitamin.
Ace Blackwell
Level 2
Level 2

Follow Up

Post by Ace Blackwell »

All just one more update. My login was quirky as I previously mentioned but I did a few things that caused my log in to act just like it does on my M$ boot.

I used winetricks to change my version to vista and to download IE6. (wouldnt let me do 7 for some reason). Now my HTML rendering act fine. The login has all the graphics and so forth. I'm not sure if it was the Vista or not. I suspect it was the IE6 change.

Just a heads up for those with online gaming issues. This might help

Ace