failed with error 127

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
skavenger

failed with error 127

Post by skavenger »

Sorry if the answer to this is somewhere obvious I checked the faq and looked around the boards and google and couldn't come up with anything.

I'm using debian squeeze 64 bit. Wine was working fine for a few days then I must have messed something up. When I try to do "winecfg" I get...

Code: Select all

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Unknown error (127).
Unknown error (127).
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 127
This is obviously when I try to run it in the terminal. When I click on the icons in the applications menu nothing happens at all. I've tried removing and installing wine again but that didn't do anything. Sorry again if this is an obvious answer.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

failed with error 127

Post by austin987 »

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:45 PM, skavenger<[email protected]> wrote:
Sorry if the answer to this is somewhere obvious I checked the faq and looked around the boards and google and couldn't come up with anything.

I'm using debian squeeze 64 bit.  Wine was working fine for a few days then I must have messed something up.  When I try to do "winecfg" I get...

Code:
Unknown error (127).
Unknown error (127).
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 127

This is obviously when I try to run it in the terminal. When I click on the icons in the applications menu nothing happens at all. I've tried removing and installing wine again but that didn't do anything.  Sorry again if this is an obvious answer.
Looks like broken graphics drivers.

--
-Austin
vitamin

Re: failed with error 127

Post by vitamin »

skavenger wrote:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Reinstall Wine. Somehow you managed to corrupt it.
pretzalz

same here

Post by pretzalz »

I get the exact same error. It happened immediately after an upgrade. My guess is it is related to the /emul32/ -> /lib32 transition. I haven't been able to fix it; only my chroot wine works now.
vitamin

Re: same here

Post by vitamin »

pretzalz wrote:My guess is it is related to the /emul32/ -> /lib32 transition.
Then use any other distro that has this figured out years ago (pretty much everything else, except gentoo).
pretzalz

Post by pretzalz »

Fixed it, libuuid.so.1 really was missing, symlinked the version in my 32-bit chroot into /lib32 and it works now. Not sure what package is supposed to supply it. ia32-libs used to supply it but no longer seems to for whatever reason.
skavenger

Post by skavenger »

hmm I've removed and installed it again multiple times but still doing the same thing.

I'm removing it with

Code: Select all

aptitude remove wine
Also tried removing with synaptic. Any other way I should remove it or any other options to try?
skavenger

Post by skavenger »

Just reinstalled wine and nvidia drivers. Still getting the same error.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

skavenger wrote:Just reinstalled wine and nvidia drivers. Still getting the same error.
Find what package provides 32-bit version of libuuid.so.1 and install it. Report this to your distro, it seems packager forgot a dependency.
skavenger

Post by skavenger »

I found the package and downloaded the 64 bit version and the 32bit. When I try to install the 32 bit version it says wrong architecture and when i try to install the 64bit version it says it's already installed and reinstalling does nothing. I'm not the most advanced user so there's a good chance I'm doing something wrong here. Thanks for all the help so far though.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

skavenger wrote:When I try to install the 32 bit version it says wrong architecture
It should be a "special" package for x86-64 arch with 32-bit compat library. Regular package for 32-bit arch will try to overwrite currently installed 64-bit version.

You need new version of ia32-libs. See this bug for further details: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=539746
kh3095

Post by kh3095 »

Thanks!

Just installed ia32-libs (version 20090808) from unstable. Now Wine works fine.