Account Creation *was* disabled.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jnewman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Account Creation *was* disabled.

Post by jnewman »

I've disabled account creation for the time being on this forum. I've had a fun weeked of dealing with the slime of humanity banning accounts and deleting posts. But, to no avail. These people don't give up. They don't care about the sites they ruin, or the sysadmins they tick off.

I need some volunteers to help moderate and watch the account queue. I'm not going to be the one who makes a full time job out of cleaning up this site. That was the deal when I created it in the first place.

If this site gets out of control, I will not bat an eye about shutting it off.

Private message me if you want to help admin.

Edit: account creation is active again
Last edited by jnewman on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jnewman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jnewman »

OK, I've installed some updates to the site that should make it harder for spammers to create accounts. This should at least catch the robots that have been spamming the site.

I'll re-enable account creation again for a bit to see how well this works.

I'll still accept requests for moderators. Feel free to PM me for moderator status. In order to be a moderator you need to have already posted on this board and helped people out.
jnewman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jnewman »

Since the changes yesterday we've had 0 spam bots get through. I don't want to crack open the champagne just yet, but I am happier than yesterday.

Thanks for the moderation offers. I think we have enough moderators for now. If the board picks up traffic and/or the current moderators start slacking off, I'll take some more requests.