Wineasio in Mono = No Stereo

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
amadeus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amadeus »

Hello all, I can't get stereo with wineasio, even the new verison of wineasio which I have compiled > 0.7.4. when I open an app with wine, I do see the connections in Qjack connections, but It is not in stereo Ardour can verify this, and both left and right connection are connected from wine to jack, I have googled for this answer to no aval and I have asked numerious times on IRC in #winehq #archlinux and #alsa all don't know what to say, I'm very puzzled here that wineasio doesn't have stereo output.

Any app I use with sound in wine connected to jack doesn't have stereo, and I have checked that the alsa driver in winecfg does have stereo, it does but if i connected jack to wine using the Jack driver I don't have stereo, the quality is great just not two seperate channels. I think its the right channel on both left and right channels, I hope to have this fixed someday lol would really like to get those two channels working with Buzzmachines, also I am using the Archlinux disto and I have the same issue in 64 studio. My soundcard is a Creative Audigy SE.

Oh and I am using just straight ALSA, no pulseaudio or anything like that.
Also I am using wine 1.1.17 I was using an older version but I see this in any version.

Thanks all
Last edited by amadeus on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter L Jones

Post by Peter L Jones »

Hi,

I've never heard of wineasio version 1.7.4; the latest is 0.7.4. Where did you
get your source? (I try to keep track of the various branches on SourceForge
project wineasio.)

I can assure you it does work -- many people are happily running apps such as
Reaper under WINE with wineasio.

Are you sure the WINE app is set up correctly?

Do you get stereo sound from Linux apps using JACK?

Regards,

-- Peter

amadeus wrote:
Hello all, I can't get stereo with wineasio, even the new verison of
wineasio which I have compiled > 1.7.4.
when I open an app with wine, I do see the connections in Qjack connections,
but It is not in stereo
Ardour can verify this, and both left and right connection are connected
from wine to jack
I have googled for this answer to no aval and I have asked numerious times
on IRC in #winehq #archlinux and #alsa all don't know what to say
I'm very puzzled here that wineasio doesn't have stereo output. Any app I
use with sound in wine connected to jack doesn't have stereo
and I have checked that the alsa driver in winecfg does have stereo, it does
but if i connected jack to wine using the Jack driver I don't have stereo,
the quality is great just not two seperate channels.
I think its the right channel on both left and right channels, I hope to
have this fixed someday lol would really like to get those two channels
working with Buzzmachines, also I am using the Archlinux disto and I have
the same issue in 64 studio. My soundcard is a Creative Audigy SE.

Thanks all
amadeus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amadeus »

Peter, thanks so much for your reply
Yes I can send from Linux sound apps to Jack in stereo, but I can't in wineasio, its two signals combine into one, L - R are both one signal, but there is only one channel in them, I think its the right channel that is being heard in both sides of my speakers, and Ardour does show this to be MONO only. So you see I have no stereo because of this. Sorry I made a mistake about the wineasio version its not 1.74 there is no 1.74 but it is 0.74 oops.

Thanks again, hope to get this fixed ;)
amadeus
Level 1
Level 1

no stereo

Post by amadeus »

I still do not know what to do about this, I have no idea what is going on with wineasio, If you can get stereo with it, then somehow I can, but if anyone knows the reason for this please throw your two cents in.

Thanks.
Amadeus
amadeus
Level 1
Level 1

regsvr32 winasio = success! (SOLVED)

Post by amadeus »

Well finially after a very long journey I got wineasio to output Stereo :) Thanks to all for your help in other places where ever you are, and what I had been doing wrong was I was selecting in wincfg the Jack audio, and that didn't work it was always MONO, but this was tricky, someone told me to select ALSA in winecfg, but that didn't work, then I was told to select to asio from my sound app that wine was running. But there was one last thing I had to do, normally I copy the wineasio.dll.so to /usr/lib/wine/ then Register it from that directory, that is WRONG! I tried to just type regsvr32 wineasio from my home, and it works now! More things that might be helping are I was told to create a .wineasiocfg in my /home/usr/ account and type these 2 lines
ASIO_INPUTS=8
ASIO_OUTPUTS=8
Because I didn't type regsvr32 wineasio in a term away from the actual wineasio.dll.so, it was not registering, others can quote me on this if they want to corrrect me. :D

Be sure after you make a .wineasiocfg in your /home/user account like /home/bozo or something that like that you reboot your system, that way jack can reboot and it should work, but you must select asio in windows apps, or it will always be boring ol' mono.

After I did these things i saw the wineasio in a windows apps ASIO output box, success!
Peter L Jones

Post by Peter L Jones »

Hi,

Can you run through the HOWTO here:
http://www.davehayes.org/2007/04/27/how ... h-wineasio
and let me know how you get on - any problems following it, etc. If you've
still got problems ... then I'm stumped!

Good luck.

-- Peter

amadeus wrote:
Peter, thanks so much for your reply
Yes I can send from Linux sound apps to Jack in stereo, but I can't in wineasio, its two signals combined into one,the L - R are both one signal, but there is only one channel in them, I think its the right ONLY being heard in both sides. So you see I have no stereo because of this. Sorry I made a mistake about the wineasio version its not 1.74 there is no 1.74 but it is 0.74 oops.

Thanks again, hope to get this fixed ;)

amadeus
Level 1
Level 1

Wineasio It works

Post by amadeus »

Hello Peter, and thanks for your help with this, that tutorial is excellent, I do have stereo with Jack and wineasio, but my DSP in Jack goes way way up, with Buzzmachines, And I have tried Reaper for a lark, I like it, but like I said my computer really gets hot, P4 3ghz with 1.25 GB Ram, I would like to get better Latency with Jack, btw are you the author of wineasio?

For years I have been using windows for my recording needs, yet now that Im turned on to using Jack, this program is amazing, the only problem I have with Jack is when it crashes after working so well (have to stop it to change settings) it crashes when I try to restart it, bummer. So I have to reboot everytime it crashes, it does this in XP too though it works much much better in Linux, so it must be my Audigy SE card.

Do you or anyone know how to shutdown alsa, Jack server so I won't have reboot just to get Jack to work again. Thanks again :)