Cannot Read Access Control List - Error 1400

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
billstei
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billstei »

I have an app installer (more than one actually) that several times during the install produces an error like this:

Cannot read access control list.
Error code: 1400

This error is not fatal to the install process, so I am not really looking for anyone to solve the issue, but I am wondering if this is a Wine limitation or if it should be considered a full fledged bug?

On a native Windows install, apparently what is happening is the installer is attempting to change permissions of certain folders/files, and XP / Vista (Win2K too?) have additional security over these changes, hence the attempt to read the "access control list". Yes, no?

Bill
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:04 PM, billstei <[email protected]> wrote:
I have an app installer (more than one actually) that several times during the install produces an error like this:

This error is not fatal to the install process, so I am not really looking for anyone to solve the issue, but I am wondering if this is a Wine limitation or if it should be considered a full fledged bug?

On a native Windows install, apparently what is happening is the installer is attempting to change permissions of certain folders/files, and XP / Vista (Win2K too?) have additional security over these changes, hence the attempt to read the "access control list". Yes, no?

Bill

Can you provide a link to one of these programs? If the error doesn't
affect the program, it is not that 'important' of a bug, but is still
a bug...
vitamin

Re: Cannot Read Access Control List - Error 1400

Post by vitamin »

billstei wrote:I have an app installer (more than one actually) that several times during the install produces an error like this:

Bill
Wine does not support ACL on files. Nor will it support them in the near future. However this should not affect anything since Wine is using file security of the underlaying OS.

As far as security goes - since Wine is a 100% user space app it does not require any additional rights to install programs. Unlike windows where one have to be an administrator to do so. This means that all files Wine generate are owned by you (as user) and you have full 100% access to them.
billstei
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billstei »

I guess the question then is whether Wine should/will provide an ACL if the installer asks to read one, regardless of whether the list is meaningful.

The installers which produce this error are from flstudio.com, both the FL7 and FL8 versions (demos) and also the Toxic Biohazard soft synth installer from the same company/website.

Bill
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

billstei wrote:I guess the question then is whether Wine should/will provide an ACL if the installer asks to read one, regardless of whether the list is meaningful.

The installers which produce this error are from flstudio.com, both the FL7 and FL8 versions (demos) and also the Toxic Biohazard soft synth installer from the same company/website.

Bill
Some stubs that return success status probably would be enough. Supporting full ACL on files - unrealistic.