/var/wine not owned by you

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
klkblake

Post by klkblake »

In an effort to set up a system-wide wine folder, I have moved my ~/.wine folder to /var/wine, set WINEPREFIX to /var/wine for all users, and changed the permissions for /var/wine and it's contents to root:wine rwxr-xr-x. The wine registry and the savegame directories for my games have g+w as well. I am a member of the wine group.
When I attempt to run wine, I get the error message "wine: /var/wine not owned by you". Since I have group permissions, why is it a problem that the directory is not owned by me, and what can I do about it given I need a system-wide wine folder?

System Info:
OS is Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.24)
Wine version is 1.1.10
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

klkblake <[email protected]>
Sent: Feb 10, 2009 10:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Wine] /var/wine not owned by you

In an effort to set up a system-wide wine folder, I have moved mine to /var/wine, set WINEPREFIX to /var/wine for all users, and changed the permissions for /var/wine and it's contents to root:wine rwxr-xr-x. The wine registry and the savegame directories for my games have g+w as well. I am a member of the wine group.
When I attempt to run wine, I get the error message "wine: /var/wine not owned by you". Since I have group permissions, why is it a problem that the directory is not owned by me, and what can I do about it given I need a system-wide wine folder?
The ability to do what you are describing is disabled in Wine. What EXACTLY are you trying to do? If it is avoiding installing programs for each user on your system, that is not possible with Wine, yet. You will have to establish a separate Wine folder for each Linux user you want to be able to run Wine and then install applications to that folder.

James McKenzie
vitamin

Re: /var/wine not owned by you

Post by vitamin »

klkblake wrote:In an effort to set up a system-wide wine folder
This is not supported. You can not share one instance of Wine between multiple users.
klkblake

Re: /var/wine not owned by you

Post by klkblake »

vitamin wrote:This is not supported. You can not share one instance of Wine between multiple users.
Back to individual folders it is then. Thanks for the help.
fcmartins
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fcmartins »

I use an intermediate solution for this: I never install the software in the C: drive (unless I'm forced to by a dumb installer). I use a common drive letter, say E:, which points to a common folder say /Winsoft, chmoded 774. Installs in there are usually chmoded -R to 774 or 777.

I also use different .wine folders for each install which I copy to each user's home within ~/Wineprefixes. I also manually copy desktop launchers around and adjust then the path for each user (this is a family setup). Every time I start a new install, I configure wine to make sure E:->/Winsoft.

Furthermore, home folders are shared over a network of three computers using NFS but, for performance reasons, I copy the software installs over the net into the a folder /Winsoft specific to each computer.

This works mostly fine for a small setup of 3 computers and 5 users. Wow is always complaining about changes in hardware, but it works.