[Experiment] Is it possible to build Wine for Windows?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
deus_nsf

[Experiment] Is it possible to build Wine for Windows?

Post by deus_nsf »

I don't necessary want to replace the entire System32 don't worry, just some of the dlls
To be precise, those ones :

advapi32.dll
comctl32.dll
comdlg32.dll
gdi32.dll
kernel32.dll
ntdll.dll
ole32.dll
shell32.dll
user32.dll
winmm.dll

Why you may ask? Well, I recently discovered that some of my favorite Windows games run quite significantly faster under Linux with the Proton layer, and this is not thanks to the Vulkan graphics API that Proton uses with DXVK, because I purposedly put those games in OpenGL to really compare them both under native Windows and native Manjaro (no VM).
Using a software to detect dll dependency calls from those games, those are the system dlls that shown as being called.
My experiment is to verify the theory that those games do run faster thanks to wine dlls, I've already ran a VM inside Windows to run Manjaro and the concerned games did ran faster with Proton and OpenGL despite being inside a VM! So I'm almost sure it's thanks to that.
The thing is, my experience with building complex projects is quite limited, I do have access to Visual Studio on Windows if building from Windows is a necessity or if it is preferable, but I was curious if it was possible to build Wine for Windows and if it was, how? Is it possible to only build the concerned dlls?

Thanks for reading.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [Experiment] Is it possible to build Wine for Windows?

Post by jkfloris »

If you want to replace those dll files, then you won't have any Windows left.
Two options that come close are:
- Install ReactOS - An opensource Windows OS with Wine DLL files.
- Install Wine in WSL2 (unsupported/ doesn't work?)

You could read this page for more information
alexis92
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexis92 »

What exactly are you referring to when you say "run faster"? You're talking about raw FPS, I presume? Or perhaps load times?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

The only component you’d really care to use on windows if WineD3D you can grab prebuilt dlls from https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag they also link there build script to building the dlls
deus_nsf

Post by deus_nsf »

jkfloris wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:04 am If you want to replace those dll files, then you won't have any Windows left.
Two options that come close are:
- Install ReactOS - An opensource Windows OS with Wine DLL files.
- Install Wine in WSL2 (unsupported/ doesn't work?)

You could read this page for more information
Oh waw I wasn't aware of the ReactOS project, that's really cool! I'll try that in a VM just to have a feel for it!
alexis92 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:32 pm What exactly are you referring to when you say "run faster"? You're talking about raw FPS, I presume? Or perhaps load times?
Yep, raw FPS is 40% faster, consistent across multiple machines with different OSes.
Gcenx wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:02 pm The only component you’d really care to use on windows if WineD3D you can grab prebuilt dlls from https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag they also link there build script to building the dlls
Are you sure that's what I'm looking for? WineD3D would be aiming for D3D I suppose, but here the performance difference stands even in native OpenGL renderers.
Narton86

Post by Narton86 »

You say the game runs faster. So what is faster than FPS or download speed? gartic phone